The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Pygmy Guru, Nubian Newbie
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When locking up chickens and goats there was discovered a fox lurking nearby in the woods. Its eyes were shining under a flashlight and it was height and body shape was that of a fox. We have a fox. That is seriously the biggest predator we've dealt with. I guess we need to kill it considering the chickens and 5 month goat on the property. Any tips or experiences anyone is willing to share?

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Might sound weird, but pee around the area you saw him and pour pee along the wood line. This is animal talk for mine stay out. Then, think about trapping

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
I seriously doubt that a fox could take down a 5 month old goat. Chickens - absolutely! Keep your chickens in the coop at night, and all should be good. The fox will move on. We have a mother fox who raises a litter of kits on our property every year, and I've never had a problem with them bothering my goats. They get the barn cats on a pretty regular basis, though. I will not kill a predator that is not bothering my goats and/or kids. If I catch them running my girls from outside the fence, they are toast!

·
Goats of da UP
1,112 Posts
Have someone hold the spot like on him while you take aim :)
Or just tape it to the end of the rifle (or buy a light for the rifle). If they're standing still enough for your to see what it is, that is still enough for a good shot.

Though you should know, nature abhors a vacuum. What is the fox has been there for months before you noticed it, and hasn't cause a single lick of trouble? The fox that moves into the vacated territory might not be so trouble free. Just keep your chickens and kid goats (yes, I can see a fox taking a very young goat) safe at night, when the fox is more likely to he active.

·
8,495 Posts
If we have foxes around, we don't have coyotes, and vise-versa- I would rather have foxes and lock
the chicken coop at night. Darn 'yotes will take down goat kids and chickens.
Worse than foxes are the raccoons (yes, they kill chickens), rats and o'possums.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The red fox is the only predator we ever need to worry about in the UK but I have never had trouble with them and I am convinced it's the presence of the goats that put them off coming for my chickens. In the Winter, I have seen fox footprints circling the pen, in the snow, even test dig sites, but even though they could have gotten in, they never have and i think it's because the goats are too big for prey and are perceived as a potential threat.

I agree with Chad about the peeing though, it does work. Sounds disgusting but if you collect it in a jug/bucket and let it ferment for a couple of days first, it's even more effective....even better if you can get a dog to supply the goods!!

·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well years ago when we settled in our family house, it was woody and we got chickens then it escalated into tow goats. We just got a buck a few days ago and he is really tiny and his horns are mere knobs. Our nannies however have serious goat power among their head. The reason we suddenly got a fox is they are urbanizing around us. They won't be able to touch our property or our neighbors, but the once quiet woods behind our house and animals has been expanded recently into a neighborhood. They've flushed out many deer, possums, and now a fox. We don't want to kill it because I blame people for tearing the habitats up, but if I have kids around we'll have an issue. We found it inside our fencing so it does worry me. I guess we will be trying the pee thing before any measures are taken, but if there is opportunity I might need to try a gun. One of our cockelrels got out of his coop and we found him in the woods but never caught him. We haven't seen him in like two or three days so we're kinda wondering if he became a meal... Also we have a bunch of rabbits every since our pet rabbit escaped his outside pen and we really like a couple of them in the yard with their babies. (Don't worry, they haven't overrun us) I have much respect for animal life, but trying to make money and successfully raise chickens, goats, and have small dogs as pets might be a problem. It seems like a new goat just ginxes the whole predator thing. The day we got our second goat, a bobcat appeared, was trapped, and released in a sanctuary. And now we have a fox to deal with. Hope the men (and women) in the house are armed with urine!

·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Other predators are raccoons (constantly) possums, and we recently had a dang hawk! Finally that thing flew away, but was very close to grabbing our tiny little dogs and a chicken or two.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts