Freak accident- a cautionary tale *UPDATE#2* Pg3

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by yonderhill, Jul 13, 2009.

1. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Thursday evening I went out to feed the goats, fed the girls and babies and then moved onto the boys.. We have to adult males and the 9 week old buckling together.. because Orpheus our largest male is such a grain hog I have been feeding Ice (the baby) up on the spool... to give him a fighting chance.. I went to pick up his grain bowl and he decided to jump onto the the spool at the same time we collided mid air.. His very hard forehead and my very soft eye... It felt like my head was going to explode, I fell tothe ground blinded and yelling for my husband... He got me inside and I could not open my eye, but the pain started to get a little better after an hour so I went out and hayed and watered everyone, Told mark I wanted to go to bed, but he was like let me look at your eye first.. I heard Hmmm.. I think we need togo to the hosp.. Got the in laws over to watch the kids and went to our local ER.. They sent me to Albany Med.. (major medical center) where 2 eye surgeons ran me through a bunch of tests.. cat scans and eye ultrasound Diagnosis= Ruptured globe, I was whisked in for emergency surgery to repair the globe. CRAZY HUH? As it stands now I have no vision in my right eye, because of all the blood and debris in the globe they are unable to tell if the retina is attached.. They are not concerned about my vision as of now, the next 2 weeks being a critical time of just seeing if the eye is going to keep its integrity or if it has to be removed. If I can keep teh eye then I will have more surgery to help restore some vision, although I have been cautioned that it is unlikely that my vision will be much better than shapes and light. Right now I am just trying to wrap my head around this freak accident.. I just think it is so weird! I was very concerned that my husband was going to be like "The goats must go" but he has been great, taking over my chores (we have put milking on hold for right now) and taking care of the children and me.. just wanted to share, and remind everyone that freak accidents can occur.

Jennah

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Re: Freak accident- a cautionary tale

OH MY GOSH Jennah!
    I am so sorry to hear about this- that really is a freak accident! :shocked:
    You will be in my thoughts :pray: and I hope your recovery goes quickly, and you recover fully!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

oh thats so scary. Lets pray for a miracle - because I know they still do happen :pray:

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI

Wow! That certainly is a freak accident. I am so sorry you have to go through this! Hoping for the best outcome for you... :hug:

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

Oh gosh...that is aweful! :hug: I am so sorry. I do send prayers that your eye will completely heal.

6. BetterBuckskins

BetterBuckskins New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I will be sending positive thoughts your way towards your recovery! :hug:

7. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine

Wow, what a lot to go through. Good thing you got to the ER and Albany Med sooner rather than later-hopefully this helps with saving the eye.

I understand this completely, sometimes it's hard to process that it's actually you that it's happening to.

Wonderful that DH is being so supportive.

Thinking of you all as you make your way through this.

8. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa

Jennah
    I will be praying for your eyesight to be restored.

9. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY

Thank you all for your well wishes... I really can not process the whole thing. but that has left me with a decent attitude about it, because it is only my vision.. I still have all my limbs and my left eye :)
    We have placed a restriction on allowing the children in with any of the babies for now.. just because I am paranoid. It truly was nobodys fault.. just a bizarre turn of events.. I believe the doctors and nurses at Albany Med will rememeber me for some time, they were all pretty dumbfounded when they heard it was a goat vs eye injury! Right now I am just living on pain meds and just going with the flow.. I am glad to have all you guys, it is nice to be able to share the crazy stuff along with the normal happenings...

Jennah

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Oh no....Jennah... :( ...I am so ..sorry that happened ....I will pray ...that your injury will heal and you have a full and complete vision recovery..... :hug: :pray:

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

How awful, my goodness, I pray that you make a full recovery. :hug:

12. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

wow..thats crazy!

hope you are better soon!

13. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia

I hope the drs are able to get your eye back to normal!!!!

14. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle

How awful for you, but so glad your hubby took you to ER, more prayers coming your way.

15. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009

This is really a freak accident!!!! I am praying for a miracle: that you regain your sight in that eye!! :hug: :hug: :hug:

16. TheRidingLibrarian

TheRidingLibrarian New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Fellsmere, Florida

OMG! Wow...prayers to you for a full recovery. I am amazed at what a good attitude you have about this....you are right, it could be so much worse. But still a lot of people would really let it get the best of them. :hug: And to Hubby for being such a help!

17. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Wow Thats really scary Jennah. Im hoping you have a good recovery. Blessings to your husband for getting you to a hospital hes a good man.
    beth

18. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Oh Heavenly Father, I pray to you today that you be with Jennah and her family as she is going through this time. Lord I hope you will be with the doctors and all the personal to take care of her and lord to give them ability to take care of her and have the wisdom to know what needs to be done. Lord I hope she will be able to recover fully and have full recovery from this accident.

Thank you lord, and in your name I pray. Amen. :pray: :pray:

19. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio

I am so so sorry Jennah! :hug: :hug: :hug: That must be so hard on you and your family! I will be praying that you may keep your sight in it. :pray: :pray: :pray:

20. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa

How scary :( and unfortunate! I sure hope you get your sight back. I know how accidents can happen, my step dad had a nail go through one of his eyes so now he has a glass eye. I'm :pray: for you and your family :hug: