The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The farm that Hope began
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if its okay to let the girls have free choice Alfafa pellets?

They've been getting some every day, and they generally don't gorge themselves on it. They'll eat some, and leave the rest and pick at it from time to time.

Just wondering if it would hurt them to have some available most of the time, or if it was beneficial.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I've had kids overdo it on pellets, and lost a couple.. so i don't do anything free choice anymore.. i think my 2 munchies, nigerian, and the three kids get 5pounds a day, and then 3 - inch flakes of alfalfa, and the weight is fine

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
wont hurt - mine gorge themselves so I cant do that but since yours already display better behavior in that department then they should do well with free choice.

Free choice is beneficial when you have limited supply on hay or you have poor quality hay.

·
The farm that Hope began
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah the hay this week STINKS...its so colorless and dry and yuck. They don't like it all, looked at me like I was stupid.

Time to find a new hay supplier? I've been keeping an eye on them. They'll eat some pellets and then wander off to do something else. If it was oats or something else, they'd stand there and explode, no doubt about it.

·
The farm that Hope began
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I usually have free choice coastal (grass) hay. Alfafa hay is VERY hard to get here and its expensive. So they get the pellets.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
ahhh.. alfalfa is the cheapest hay i can buy out here, but i'm in dairy country, so alfalfa is everywhere... I must be spoiled. But i get 110 pound bales for 10.50..

is there any other type of hay that you could get that isn't a shoddy? or do you think its a one time deal?

·
Registered
845 Posts
All my girls get alf pellets mixed w/senior equine pellets, goat chow and BOSS. I don't feed them baled hay of any kind because it tangles and matts in their fleeces. Every feeding there are alf pellet left over from the previous feeding that I have to throw out - telling me they don't particularly like the pelletized alf but they do eat it in moderation.

Deb Mc

·
The farm that Hope began
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The hay is generally pretty good, but for a couple of weeks it's been poor and the girls don't like it.

I'm going to look around for a different supplier, but hay is expensive out here, and at the moment, I have no place to store it other than my front porch (haha) so I can only buy a couple bales at a time, making it even more expensive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts