The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it wise to free choice alfalfa pellets? This question came up this morning.... My uncle thought I could just set some out in the field and let them free choice. I didn't think that was such a good idea, I usually add it to their grain, but he was pretty insistent. Thoughts anyone? He doesn't own goats but he wants to get a couple.... Not so sure that's a good idea considering he also thinks giving them bread instead of grain is a good idea too... I get bread from him to give my animals.... But they get a loaf in the morning shared with 8 chickens, 8 goats and 2 sheep... Sometimes a little more throughout the day... He owns cattle, so I guess he knows something about livestock....

·
Registered
279 Posts
You can free feed alfalfa pellets just like you can free feed alfalfa hay. If they are used to getting the pellets, there is a good chance they'll eat a lot at the beginning and then the chances are, they'll pace themselves later.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I believe I'd be careful with the bread. Although closely related, goats aren't cattle in spite of what cattle people think. Cattle people often figure they can feed their goats cow hay too, and end up with dead goats.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Bread for poultry, at least, is a "junk food" filler. Too much is not recommended as it makes them fat and has little nutrition.I would assume the same for any animal....people think when they go to the parks and feed the ducks bread that they are doing them a favor, when actually they are filling them on empty calories :(

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
I feed free choice alfalfa. They don't eat as much as you would think and they do very well on it.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe I'd be careful with the bread. Although closely related, goats aren't cattle in spite of what cattle people think. Cattle people often figure they can feed their goats cow hay too, and end up with dead goats.
That's what I was worried about. My neighbor who has cattle tried goats and they died... I didn't know much about goats, still learning...., but he fed them bread, and that was it, as well as browse... They lasted 3 months...:(

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, well I guess the alfalfa pellets are okay then... I won't be doing it.... I will continue to feed like I do since it works for me... I will continue to feed the bread like I do.... Since I split 1 loaf between all my animals, I think it's okay and it's treat...:)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bread for poultry, at least, is a "junk food" filler. Too much is not recommended as it makes them fat and has little nutrition.I would assume the same for any animal....people think when they go to the parks and feed the ducks bread that they are doing them a favor, when actually they are filling them on empty calories :(
Totally agree, now just getting my uncle to understand that... Argh!!!!:(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts