Free choice alfalfa pellets?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by fcdairygoats, May 14, 2016.

1. fcdairygoats

fcdairygoats Active Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Indiana
    Does anyone on here feed dairy stock free choice alfalfa pellets? If so, can you explain or get pictures of what you have the pellets in, to feed free choice...also how you got them switched over to free choice. Right now if I give alfalfa pellets they inhale it and clean up every single pellet. I have full size Nubians that get free choice grass hay. I don't have any alfalfa hay (no reliable sources).

Thanks in advance!

2. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

3. fcdairygoats

fcdairygoats Active Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Indiana
    That's a good idea for your set up. :)

My goats are one big herd so I need something that will work with about 12 goats eating from the feeders.
    Their shelter is 12'x32' with a 16' hay feeder down the middle. I am not sure what to use or where to put the alfalfa pellet feeders them. I do want to get them back on alfalfa pellets though....just trying to find a way to feed them is difficult especially since I have goats scattered everywhere at the moment because of all my babies being born! Started in march and finally the last two kidded on Thursday.

4. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    A friend of mine made a automatic feeder for his creep feeder that would work well and I'm going to copy. Bear with me while I try and explain it since I can't find the picture.
    He got one of those big metal (plastic should work too) barrels and cut the bottom off then a piece of ply board and cut that in a circle a few inches bigger then the barrel, basically big enough that a mouth could fit between the barrel when it's in the middle and the edge. Then he got these L shaped bracket things and and screwed the barrel to the ply board in the middle and leaving a gap between so the barrel is not touching the ply board.....that way the grain can come threw easy. On the edges of the ply board I'm not sure what he used but some kind of hard plastic and went around so it makes kinda a pan.
    Now he just has it like that on the ground but I was going to use bricks to make it higher so they can't poop in it. Another idea I had was to get another barrel and cut it down an lay and secure it on top. But anyways it will hold I think 200lbs of feed so you wouldn't have to worry about them running out.