The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to make sure that having minerals out free choice is ok now that the kids are eating. Do they "know" what they need like the adults? Or are they gonna make themselves sick cuz they're pigs and it fits in their mouth? :rolleyes:

·
Goat Feeder
1,436 Posts
I left mine out with 14 kids. None had any problems. Some like it and go after for a few days, some don't.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
None of mine will eat minerals free choice..... What's wrong with my "kids"? I put it in their grain twice a week..... If I have the tub in my hand they will usually go for it too, but it was never touched when I put it out free choice. They go for the sheep mineral tubs ever so often. I copper bolus them now...

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Just wanted to make sure that having minerals out free choice is ok now that the kids are eating. Do they "know" what they need like the adults? Or are they gonna make themselves sick cuz they're pigs and it fits in their mouth? :rolleyes:
Mine seem to know. Mineral has been out free choice since before they were born, no problems so far.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. I just noticed the other day that my free feeder is kinda blocked off by the kennel I was putting the kids in. Need to start putting some in the grain, or move the feeder, so my does are getting their minerals! Definitely be working on that this weekend! Another thing to add to the "do it myself" list. :)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
None of mine will eat minerals free choice..... What's wrong with my "kids"? I put it in their grain twice a week..... If I have the tub in my hand they will usually go for it too, but it was never touched when I put it out free choice. They go for the sheep mineral tubs ever so often. I copper bolus them now...
What kind of mineral do you have out? Sometimes the formulation causes issues with taste. I would suggest you experiment with a few different brands to find one that not only meets their requirements, but also tastes good enough that they will actually eat it. Do you have a Sweetlyx dealer around? I've had good results with Sweetlyx MeatMaker mineral. The only reason I don't feed it is because I have to order it and the company became very unreliable about getting it in.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
What kind of mineral do you have out? Sometimes the formulation causes issues with taste. I would suggest you experiment with a few different brands to find one that not only meets their requirements, but also tastes good enough that they will actually eat it. Do you have a Sweetlyx dealer around? I've had good results with Sweetlyx MeatMaker mineral. The only reason I don't feed it is because I have to order it and the company became very unreliable about getting it in.
I've tried several kinds, even the sweetlyx meat maker, pro manna, purina etc. I think mine think they are people... Lol. I copper bolus them know, but have the sheep mineral tubs out since I have sheep too, and then I put some in their grain, and offer it to them by hand a couple times a week. I think they are getting enough. Mine are just picky.... Lol:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts