Free choice mineral problem...

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by CottonwoodBoerGoats, Jul 6, 2020.

1. CottonwoodBoerGoats

CottonwoodBoerGoats Member

Jun 7, 2020
    PNW
    Hello! I have a 10 year old Boer doe, a 6 year old Boer doe, and a yearling Boer doe together. I have tried to give them free choice minerals like I’m supposed to but they eat a whole cup Of manna pro in 10 minutes s! It’s like feeding my money to piggies. I love my goats but this is too expensing. Help?

2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    There is a recommended amount of Manna Pro to put in per goat - fill it with that amount and only that amount daily.

If they want so much, they are probably deficient - post photos please!!

3. CottonwoodBoerGoats

CottonwoodBoerGoats Member

Jun 7, 2020
    PNW
    Thank you! I’m not currently able to upload photos with my internet but I’ll look at the package. I gave all of them copper bolus on jun 27 and the oldest gets selenium paste every 30 days and all three get a pink salt block 100% of the time

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  4. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    They make an actual goat mineral block that our goats love. It is about $15 per block at Tractor Supply and it lasts our 38 goats about 2 weeks.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Goat mineral blocks are not suitable. They have extremely soft tongues and they are not able to lick enough to satisfy their needs - and most mineral blocks don’t have many minerals and are mostly salt.

6. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    I have studied this block and it is fairly soft compared to others. The percentages are very good on the label and salt is very minor and only as a preservative in this block......but, I know the blocks are frowned upon here......I like this particular block and have used it since December on my little auction herd. I can see that it has made a huge difference for my goats. However, my little rag, tag bunch were in pretty bad shape when we brought them home and they probably had never had any minerals before so what do I know?

7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    What’s the guaranteed analysis?

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Do know, they lick from it, if their bodies need it.
    Keep replenishing it as needed.
    Let them have it.

Before long, their bodies will calm down and not crave it as much.

It is good they are licking from it.

goatblessings and Iluvlilly! like this.
  9. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England

There are some less expensive loose minerals that are sold in larger bags if you wanted to try that instead!

Purina Goat Minerals
    Sweetlix Meat Maker Goat Mineral
    Purina Wind & Rain Cattle Mineral (not the one with fly control)
    ADM GroStrong horse mineral (this one may not be less expensive per pound than Manna Pro depending on prices in your area)

many other options!

I'm curious that as to why only one of your three goats received selenium paste? It's very likely they all need it!

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  10. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    But also, I bet if they had all they wanted for a week straight then they would taper off.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  11. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

I highly recommend using Sweetlix Meat Maker as @SalteyLove suggested. I used to use MannaPro and my goats were always deficient in copper and zinc. Since we've switched to Sweetlix Meat Maker, we haven't had any mineral issues. :)
    You can buy it from a dealer, or order it from Jeffers.
    https://www.jefferspet.com/products/sweetlix-meat-maker-goat-16-8-with-rainbloc
    Only problem with Jeffers is that you can not get free shipping on this item even if you spend over $49. I believe the shipping is about $16 however it may be more...

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  12. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    Sweetlix is MUCH better for your goats and cheaper than Manapro!