FREE GOATS IN SC

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sweet Gum Minis, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I saw this ad on craigslist. I do NOT know the people, but thought there maybe those on here who could help...

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh that's to bad. I sure hope someone can give their goats a good home!

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
  4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Mexican's are known for eating goats she probably just doesn't want that for them?

5. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I think they just don't want them for meat, since many Mexican families like goat meat and buy goats quite often for that purpose...at least where we are it is an every day occurance. They could have TOTALLY said something else to the effect of not wanting them for meat though. Or maybe they don't speak spanish?? lol...I dunno. That does sound racist in their ad though.

6. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yeah, seems strange that they'd say that mean they didn't want their goats to be used for meat...especially since there are plently of non-Mexican goat eaters. :roll:

7. Riot_My_Love

Riot_My_Love New Member

Chinese eat goats too :roll:

8. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Here, the market for goat meat consists mainly of people of Middle Eastern (Arabic and Jewish) and Southern European (Greek and Italian) descent. Around April, 20-30lb kids bring top dollar at eastern markets.

9. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Wow...that's so interesting...around here I have never heard of that...i've only heard of Hispanics eating goat meat. We have a local auction that runs approx. 75 goats every week and it's roughly 90% Hispanics buying boers for breeding and eventually slaughter.

We have several Mexican employees that work for our farm irrigating, cutting hay, etc. and one day I was loading hay for the goats and they were helping and one of them asked if I breed my goats for eating... and having nigerian dwarfs I thought that was hilarious, and told him they were to mucho poquito to eat (parden my spanish...I think that's how you say very small, but that's about all the spanish I know, lol) and we all just had a good laugh. :ROFL: They just saw the goats as only being a source of food. But I thought that was so funny. Good times..good times.

10. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I'm Hispanic. I guess I'm glad I'm not nearby. :ROFL:

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The person is obviously desperate to find good homes, as well as was likely hurried in placing the ad....I'm sure that had they had the time to think about it, they would not have worded it in that manner.

I do hope that the goaties get rehomed soon.

12. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    It didn't offend me at all, I mean, I know what they meant, and after all...some of us do like cabrito. :wink: :greengrin:

I hope they find homes too.

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    lol.. just throwing this out there.. but.. maybe for all we know.. they are racist.

14. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Its so sad im seeing more and more ads like this. bank repos people just cant afford things like they used to be able to. Personally i would rather see my animals go for meat then to a bad home with people who think baby goats are cute and just dont care to do the rest that goes along with being the owner of a goat.
    beth

15. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
  16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It is a shame, and I do agree even though I love all my goats for the sweet pets they are, the most humane thing to do would be to see them feed a family before they went to a bad home. :(

17. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Yep, I totally agree, using them for meat is better than some of the alternatives. When I see ads for free goats, I sort of cringe. Some people will make the split second decision to become goat owners. Then the poor goat pays the price, because the new owners don't realize that there is daily care involved with goats. Very sad.

18. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Sorry guys, I didn't mean to offend anyone by copying their post. I truly hope I haven't. Sorry if I did. I don't know the situation with them or even what goats they may have. Just saw that and thought there maybe some on here who maybe interested. I'm assuming mix breeds, but who knows.

Yes, they meant "not for meat" which would have been a lot more politically correct.

19. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Don't worry about it--No harm done :hug:

It's not like you wrote the add...you were just trying to help.

20. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    No harm done Ashley, they obviously are wanting to find pet homes for them and fast....I hope they do :hug: