The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed a way to give hay to my goats in the "hospital stall" but didn't want to spend money. So I took one of the new style of feed bags that are woven plastic strips, cut three diamonds across the front and back towards the bottom, put holes to run baling twine through at the top. I fill them with hay, run the baling twine through, and hang on the fence. So far they seem very safe because the holes aren't big enough to get their heads through and no one has torn them up. And....totally free!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took some pictures. On this bag I only cut two diamonds on each side. In the picture, you can see the top fraying a little. If they start to eat the little plastic strings there would be big problems. But...since we have lots of bags, I'll just make a new one and throw the frayed bag away.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
That was some good inspiration!

·
14,726 Posts
I've made some out of the good, strong feed bags to use at goat shows, they work great :) Just have to be careful and make sure they can't fit a head in the hole.
I actually bought canvas type fabric years ago and although I am lousing at sewing, I made hay bags that we use at shows, and again, they work great. I don't know if I have any good pictures of the front to show, but they are similar, but mine have about 5 small holes on the front from about midway up to the bottom, since there are usually 2-3 goats in a pen at the shows. You just really, really have to be careful using these and make sure they can't stretch it and get their head in as it can be a death sentence. Honestly, that's why we only use at shows as there is usually always someone around. I won't use them in the barn where I can't see them, especially young goats. I don't worry terribly about the adults, but the younger goats I would.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Definitely make sure that their heads dont fit in the bag! I lost a doeling a couple years ago. She got her head in a feeder hay bag, twisted around trying to escape, got stuck and suffocated. It was horrible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts