Free icing buckets to cool milk, & plastic Mason lids

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by FrenchFarm, Aug 3, 2008.

1. FrenchFarm

FrenchFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Mid-Michigan
    Hi, I read the post about cooling milk quickly, and some of the suggestions sound very similar to what we've been doing. I wanted to mention something that's worked well for us. We went to a nearby bakery and got some old icing buckets with lids (actually they charged us 10 cents a bucket) to use for feeding grain, and also to help us cool our milk quickly. They're about the same height as a half gallon mason jar, and a little bigger around than a five quart ice-cream bucket. My husband cut the icing bucket lid to fit right around the glass jar, and we put two ice packs and a half-gallon mason jar into a 5 quart ice-cream bucket, which goes into the icing bucket. We strain and filter as we milk. After milking, the icing bucket stays in the barn, and the ice-cream bucket, which is clean because it was inside the other bucket with a lid on it, goes right into our refrigerator for a few hours. It sounds complex, but it's working really well for us. Hey, one more thing. Do you know that you can get strong white plastic lids for wide-mouth or regular mason jars? They're about 50 cents each, and we like them a lot better than the two part metal lids that people normally use with canning jars. - Stephanie

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I love to here how people do things. There is a bakery not to far from me...think I'll see if they have anything similar. Thanks.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Since I work in a restaurant I had access to the lidded pie filling buckets...they hold 3 qts and were perfect for use with my minis, and they fit inside each other so I was able to put a freezie or ice underneath the pail I milked into...my way now works better for me as I don't always have the space for ice trays.