The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2 little 10 week old NDG came home yesterday my little farmers are in love.

I have a 8000sqft pen/pasture fenced for the ladies. I would like to allow them to have supervised free range on our 2+ acres that is fenced. Good idea or bad? I'm thinking at least keep them in their pen for a week so they get used to being in there, before free ranging.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,544 Posts
Our 2 little 10 week old NDG came home yesterday my little farmers are in love.

I have a 8000sqft pen/pasture fenced for the ladies. I would like to allow them to have supervised free range on our 2+ acres that is fenced. Good idea or bad? I'm thinking at least keep them in their pen for a week so they get used to being in there, before free ranging.
Sounds good to me. As long as there are no poisonous plants in the pasture or anything else they can get into trouble with I see no reason why they can't enjoy all that space.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have buttercups are they poisonous for goats I know they are for cattle?

·
8,168 Posts
Watch out for predators, too. Actually, one of the worst and often fatal predators is the family dog. Yours or a neighbors. This statement tends to upset people as they are sure Fido wouldn't harm a flea, but, unless a dog is raised around goats, they find goats wonderful chase toys. The goats smell funny, run and jump and yell, triggering the predator instinct in the most well behaved family pet.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Agree on watching for predators, make sure your fencing is super secure. Like Goats Rock said, dogs are the #1 predator to attack goats. My vet said they kill more goats than coyotes do. We also watch out for hawks, though at 10 weeks old they should be big enough to be less likely to be picked off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
All my goats are super friendly and well behaved. My 11 month old Fainting/ND wether though acts wild out on pasture if he doesn't like the thought of getting put back in the goat yard he runs.. Yesterday I had to follow him all over the yard and up to the barn as he bucked and grunted playing Gingerbread Man. I keep leads on my goats when out loose. He definitely needs a longer one today. :heehee:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts