The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a bottle baby ND doeling 3 weeks ago. She is now 6 weeks old. She was a twin, buck & doe. However the last two days she has started acting bucky. Making the buck noises. I have been going back and forth if I should send off blood for a freemartin test. I will be really sad if she is a freemartin. I am excited for her breeding to bring to our herd.

Does anyone have any experience with freemartin? Any classic signs? I know the blood test is the only way to be 100%. I have never had a doeling act bucky before.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Everything happens, it's normal. well that goats not have gender differences, and the after all this minority and can demand itself privileges.:)

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I had one. Never acted like a buck, her vagina was super small and the only thing really different about her was she packed weight on super well, well and she never came into heat. I have had kids that blubber turn out to be totally fine females.
Do you have more then one doe kid around the same age? My doe was older when someone told me to do this “test” but what I did was tried to put a speculum in her. They said if you can’t get in more then 5” (boer) she is probably no good. I couldn’t even get my finger into the first knuckle. So you could try to use something small, like a feeding tube and see how far you can get in but I couldn’t even start to guess how far one would be able to get in on a small kid like that. I personally would probably wait a bit longer to try the “test” if you do decide to give that a try.

·
Fair-Haven
4,738 Posts
Do send a pic if you can. I had a "doeling" one year with a cupped vulva - she ended up being a hermaphrodite. She started acting more bucky and was more masculine in her appearance. She was a great teaser during breeding season!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Her vulva is cupped. Will get a picture asap. She is not just blubbering but also pawing and sticking her tongue out when she is making the blubbering noise. I have only seen this with bucks.

If she is a hermaphrodite would the freemartin test be positive?

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
Looks like an intersex to me. I'd bet it pees up lol.
Nope I'd do the chromosome test instead of free martin.
I'll give odds that it's a buck.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
I agree...intersex or hermaphrodite is more likely with the bucky behavior. If it pees up, that is going to be a huge mess.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I'd bet it pees up lol.
No, in that case the surrounding hide and pelt would be messed. Have you seen her pee?

That vulva does look very strange. Just like a little penis at the end. May I add, though, that during my 35 years as a goat owner, I had two does who were clearly bi-sexual. These delivered and took care of their young like any does. The true hermafrodites were sterile. These grew face beard and behaviour almost like bucks, and the real bucks thought they were does in heat ... Poor guys, I let them in with the does!

Now, 6 weeks old and beginning to act like a buck, is that not astonishing early?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where can I get the chromosome test done? I contacted UCDavis but they do not do it. Only freemartin.

I have honestly not paid attention to her pee. I will now.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I don’t know about the chromosome test. However, it’s likely not necessary-usually an exam will show you what you’re dealing with. If you have a vet that knows goats or sheep, as him to come out and look at this kid.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts