The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone out there like to offer opinions about my buckling? I am new to Boer goats and he was nursing when I bought his mama. The breeder suggested selling him as a breeding buck as he is quite well bred with plenty of enoblements in his pedigree. So, come weaning time we skipped his castration and just put him out to pasture with the wethers. I need to decide now what to do with him as it is time to get them off the pasture. I see some flaws and some strengths, but I would appreciate any advice, comments regarding this decision. He is five months old and has never been supplimented, just good pasture with lots of browse and a small amount of hay. Thanks in advance for your time. I know these aren't the best pics, but you can get an idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
lookin good! Im new to Boers also but he looks good to me. Just as an aside, ennoblements dont mean much if you're running a commercial meat goat herd. Bought a buck who had papers out the wazoo and he has been nothing but trouble (read: WORMS) since I bought him. I had a 75/25 kiko/boer buckling who, at three months, was as big as my 8month Boer.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't get the pedigrees to scan in a small enough file to use but a big enough file to read. The sire was Gaibalea Farm RRD X115 he has nine enoblements on his papers and goes back to RRD Remington. The dam was Windcall Princessa who comes from a very nice line of does. Both ABGA registered fullbloods. There was linebreeding done, the sire "Baily" was bred back to a few of his nicer daughters and this buck was one of the products.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will say he was across the fence from a young doe who came into heat, and I had to move him because he was romancing her hard and stopped grazing. I was afraid there would be an accident. He sure has the right idea about his job already.

·
1,379 Posts
I think he is worth your time to try and sell. I don't see any majors faults from the pictures. Good horn set, pigmentation, Nice head shape. He looks pretty correct on his legs, but legs are a little hard to see in those photos. Nice scrotum shape. I would advertise him. If you have facebook there are some Boer goat pages that you can ask to join to advertise. What is his teat structure like?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK I went and caught the little fellow. Wasn't too tough since he was checking my pockets for raisins at the time. His bite is correct and he has two clean teats on each side. I had better get out and handle him some if he's going to get to grow up. He took offense at my checking out his parts.:)

·
Nigerian Dwarf Goats
16 Posts
He sure is strongly uphill, wide in front and pretty wide in back, and I think he might be OK in the chine. It is hard to see how the legs stand from the side, but it is awesome he did that well on just hay and browse. He put on growth fast, too. I can't feel his top and sides, but wonder if you could get someone to check the structure of ribs and back. Maybe he could be longer, but I am thinking in terms of 4H/FFA club shows, what we do. We keep losing though, so might not want to take our word for it! I know his lack of cow hocks would improve our boer doe we have.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Flying G I love the honesty, made me laugh out loud in public! Thank you to toth and everyone else, your opinions mean a lot. I'll be moving him out of the meaty boy pasture soon. Not sure exactly where he'll end up, but not in the meat pen!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts