The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fresca's four boys overwhelmed her when they were just shy of two weeks old. She stopped feeding them. My sister and BIL were here visiting, fortunately. We bottle fed them and they all took a bottle. I was surprised that wasn't a fight. We also took her to the milking stand and forced her to feed them. She was going to explode. The first three or four times were awful, she kicked and carried on, and it took a man holding her up in the air to get her to let them eat. I feel bad because I wasn't very nice to her the first day. The next morning I saw them all four shoving at her at once, really hungry, and started to feel like helping her instead of forcing her. She hasn't got quite enough milk for all of them, so they were all hungry all the time, and she must have been miserable.

This was last Sunday when it started. Now she stands on the milking stand to let them eat twice a day, and I give them a supplemental bottle twice a day, and she lets them eat in between sometimes. I could almost see her decide I was helping her as she watched me give them a bottle.

Last year she was so out of control on the milking stand I gave up on her, there were too many things going on in my life to cope with it. This year I have plans and I am determined she will learn to be milked. Otherwise she will be a cull, and I don't want that. I have a hobble that isn't painful, and I just got a sling rig for my stand so she can't collapse on me. But she has changed so much this week I am hopeful it won't be an all out war. Right now those four boys need all her milk, plus some.

Jan

·
Registered
845 Posts
Sounds like you've managed to turn things around and everyone has benefited from your effort. :thumb: Good job!

Those babies are sure cute. :love:

Deb Mc

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She was huge. And she is skinny now. She's doing well now, I am very pleased, and her boys seem to be growing like mad. I give them a bottle supplement twice and she comes to the milking stand and we feed them two at a time twice, and they get other little sips sometimes during the day if she feels like it. She has settled down so much on the milking stand doing this, I am really hopeful she will milk more easily than last year.

Jan

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
Awww! I'm glad things are starting to settle down for her and you. They are really cute! The black one with white on its side looks almost identical to my Snowbell!

·
Registered
444 Posts
If your not planning to keep them (or some of them) then why not sell the one(s) you are not keeping as bottle kids? by doing so you will lower the milk demand on the mother and you will be relieved some as well.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the only kinders around here, and males are not the right starting out kinders for people, so selling them isn't happening yet. At least two of them are spoken for and one gets banded and stays with his mother for company. Things are starting to improve in that arena, but it is still not bucks that are going to be in demand first. Some of these kids will end up in the freezer. But I have the capacity to keep them bucks this year until then, they grow a lot bigger. We are doing well, she is feeding them and I am supplementing her with bottles.

Jan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts