The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was talking to the Lady I got my Lamancha From. She has raised goats and shown goats for many years. She is also a Show goat Judge. She was telling me that if you give your goats some fresh carrots, apple cores and a pinch of chewing tobacco and fresh garlic every 1-2 months that will help keep your goats from having worms and get ride of ones they have. She was in a hurry Leaving for the goat shows in Amarillo Tx, so she didn't tell me which worms in particular this helps with. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? I couldn't find much searching threw the files, still learning how with efficiency, I did find someone mentioning pumpkin seeds. Other then that all I read was about herbal wormers and drug/chemical wormers. What Im wanting to know is there certain foods that actualy help keep them from getting or get rid of worms Like she mentioned? What about Cocci? Any home remedies for that?
Thanks all
Laura
:whatgoat:

·
Banned
988 Posts
I have heard of garlic, also cider an putting walnut hulls in their water. I have done some research on it an the only thing I have found out is you goats cant eat enough of that stuff to have an effect on the worms.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
pumpkin seeds, papaya seeds (for barberpole worms), grow some wormwood plants for goats to nibble on, cayenne, etc etc.

there's actually quite a long list, but the reason why people give herbal wormers is there are complimentary herbs/dried foods that are mixed together to combat various worms and boosts immune system.

I've never seen carrots and apples, but I assume those are just for vitamins? I've read along my travels that tobacco can be an insecticide (for plants), and can be used on horses as an anti-parasitic, BUT tobacco plants are part of the nightshade family, and SOME say nightshades are toxic to goats. mine have eaten other nightshades without issue, so this is something you'll have to decide whether it's safe for your goats to eat...

here's a great website that gives you recipe for your home wormer. I was making my own basing it from Molly's herbals, but I switched to this one now (one formula vs two).
http://www.landofhavilahfarm.com/new-page-3.htm

as for cocci, this is what I give my goats when I see scours (found this in the herbal remedies thread...very old thread):

Cocci Remedy
1 tsp powdered ginger * 1 tsp cloves * 1 tsp slippery elm powder * 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup boiling water - Steep for 20 minutes
For a 2 month old kid give 6-10cc twice a day for 5-7 days, more frequently if needed

I've also added 1/4 cayenne to the recipe.

hope this helps. yes, I've done a LOT of reading on home remedies for goats (and not surprising, this stuff works on people as well). let me know if you have any questions. if I don't have the answer, I may be able to point you where you need to go to find them. :)

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
That are actually about to release (still being tested by the FDA) a new wormer that is nicotine based.
Pumpkin seeds actually are great for clearing out worms. They are said to scrap the parasites off the intestinal walls.
Tobacco is an old timer dewormer.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nchen7
I think she ment that the carrot would be something that would knock the worms loose due to the density of it, I guess sort of like the Pumpkin seeds, but not sure. She said the Apple cores are because the seeds contain small amounts of cyanide in them.

As for night shade, I know 2 of my girls LOVE tomato plant leaves, but not the stems or the fruits. They ate all the leaves off my 1 tomato plant before I knew they wasn't supposed to have nightshade type plants. They had NO ill effects on them that where noticeable at least. But then it was 2 girls and one med. sized plant.

Thanks for the info, Loved it!
:book:
Laura

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nchen7
Forgot to ask on the Cocci, how much do you give to adult goats? For how long and how often?
Thanks again
Laura

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i did 10cc's for my grown girl, and more frequently if it's bad (i.e. once every 2-3 hrs). hard to OD on herbals...

and I know ppl can be sceptical about the herbal remedies, but I live on an island, and when my girl had cocci issues, there were no cocci meds, so I just aggressively gave her the herbals and it worked. anytime I see any scours, I just give this concoction until it goes away, and it works.

I don't think carrots would help get rid of worms. they would provide vitamins. as for apple cores, nothing I've read on anything naturally anti-parasitic said anything about apple cores.... garlic is great overall immune booster, CAN be used in place of antibiotics and does kill off certain parasites.

as for nightshades, my girls have gotten out, eaten tomato plants and eggplants, and they live to bleat another day. hehe. they also eat avocado, so it all really depends on your goats and what they're immune to...

feel free to PM me if you have any questions. personally, I try to live as drug-free and natural as possible, so i'm trying the same for my animals.

:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts