Fresh goat A.I

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by AlaskaBoers, Jan 25, 2009.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i'm getting my pigs A.I 'ed this week, i asked her if she used a nitrogen tank, she said that she just orders fresh semen and it lasts ten days. So what she does is tracks the heats of the sows and the day before she has them send it so it arrives the day they come into heat. (its overnight shipping). this makes alot of sense.
    anyway...
    do goat breeders do it? i would definetly buy fresh semen if it was possible, anyone know of any businesses or companies that have it? I think goat factory does frozen.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    oh so it wouldnt last the ten days....shucks!

3. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    I've seen fresh semen sold for use in flushes. It is very pricey though.

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    so it'd just be better to freeze it?

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am thinking so..... :wink: :)
    someone correct me if I'm wrong... :shrug:

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    The way I read that page, it has to be frozen in a nitrogen tank as the normal freezer will not get cold enough to preserve it.

7. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

The vet I use for livestock has a nitrogen tank for AI straws. I haven't looked into AI, but I believe I could buy the straws and have them sent straight to his tank where he would hold them for me. I don't know if I would then have to use him for the AI (which I would since I've never done it) or if I could just "rent" the tank space. Sure would be cheaper than investing in an AI tank.