The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This year my mom is growing a lot more herbs than we ever have before and I've been taking handfuls of each of them to feed to the does because of the medicinal and anthelmintic properties of herbs. I'm concerned, though, that I've heard that peppermint and sage can lower milk production. How much would need to be fed for that to occur? I only give them about a handful of each around every week. I've not been giving them sage because I knew that it had milk lowering qualities, but I didn't know about peppermint until now. Should I not give them peppermint? We've been giving them: rosemary, oregano, thyme, pineapple mint, lemongrass, catnip, and the peppermint. We are also growing lavender, but I wasn't sure whether they should eat that. Any of those have any properties I should be aware of?

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
I used sage to dry up a goat that freshened with black bag mastitis. It dried her up in less than a week.

Oregano is safe for milkers and is a natural antibiotic, anti fungal and will help protect against internal parasites.

·
Registered
387 Posts
We use herbs a lot!

"rosemary, oregano, thyme, pineapple mint, lemongrass, catnip, and the peppermint. We are also growing lavender"

Oregano also can lower supply, any mint may have the same impact as peppermint (including catnip- square stem); if I was trying to keep supply up I would avoid them all. I avoid thyme for the same reasons. The only one I'd consider on this list to feed without impacting milk is lemongrass. I grow it but have not fed it to my milkers- I just don't know. I bet goats love it though! One herb that may increase supply is dill.

I'm drying up my does now and fed them oregano and sage, just one or two 12" stalks each time I've milked and it seems immediately effective. I've been able to increase time between milkings by a day, each week.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, @littleheathens! We do have dill, that was one that I forgot to mention. Parsley was another one I don't think I said. That's a shame that all that could have negative affects on milk production. I was really hoping that I could give it to them for the health benefits. Maybe only very occasionally would be okay? Once a month maybe? Although, I guess if I give it that rarely, the can't be getting that much lasting affects out of it. Strange how you read that growing herbs is great for goats, but no one ever mentions this!

·
Registered
387 Posts
I would feed parsley without abandon. :) There are a lot of good ones but those with the more pungent, oily qualities feel similar to me, and they are not going to be helpful if you are trying to keep high milk production. They are all on a spectrum too- you can play with it a little and see what you notice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts