The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we finally got a system worked out, goats were out in our 1.87 acre lot today having a field day (willow, maple trees, lots of berry bushes, they were even nibbling at the grass).... Can I not supplement with hay? They do get grain treated daily(50/50 sweet feed with cobb with probios mixed in for the past couple days).....
There is still a flake or two in their pen (they jumped back in while we were milking the one goat....)....
Just wondering....

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
My girls can get into 15 acres of pasture if they wanted... Still eat their hay!

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
If I had hay out free choice while there were other things to eat else where they would be lazy and only eat the hay. I do agree with feeding them before bed time.....I have a thing about my animals going to bed with a full tummy :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so I had goats out all today (it kinda sucks they will only pasture feed if I am in the vicinity or else they get scared and hide in the garage-- dogs and goats is def a transition) and I did get out a fat flake for them prior to bedtime, and they did chow down....

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I leave hay out free choice because I have lactating and growing kids... In the current state the pasture is in, they would all be skin and bones. Even during the summer, I don't think they would be the proper weight.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I leave hay out free choice because I have lactating and growing kids... In the current state the pasture is in, they would all be skin and bones. Even during the summer, I don't think they would be the proper weight.
Yeah one is a skinny doe that refuses to dry up and the others are 5-6 month olds )the Nigies are good weight but the 2 little obers are underweight and our wether has pneumonia)....

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I'd personally leave hay out free choice then. It'll help the young ones grow, and the skinny ones gain weight, IMO.
For example, I bought a Boer % doe 3 weeks ago. She was, IMO, too skinny for her age. After just 3 weeks of free choice alfalfa (no grain yet) she is already gaining weight. Where at her old house, I don't know how much hay she got - if any.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
So we finally got a system worked out, goats were out in our 1.87 acre lot today having a field day (willow, maple trees, lots of berry bushes, they were even nibbling at the grass).... Can I not supplement with hay? They do get grain treated daily(50/50 sweet feed with cobb with probios mixed in for the past couple days).....
There is still a flake or two in their pen (they jumped back in while we were milking the one goat....)....
Just wondering....
Obviously I'm in the minority, but the whole point of pasture/browse is NOT having to feed hay. As long as the leaves, berry bushes, and grass had not been damaged/sent into dormancy by frost and they had access to it for 10 hours or so, I would not bother with hay.

·
Banned
988 Posts
Im with ya GoatCrazy. From Spring till first frost my goats are on full pasture with no hay whatsoever. They get their browse an about 2 cups of feed in the evening. They look great. Not show condition but nice an plump.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts