Freshly Clipped Junior Doe - Lyla Marie

Discussion in 'Photogenic' started by capriola-nd, Jul 24, 2008.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Okie, finally finished clipping Lyla last night. . . .

Picture day! It started out terrible & took forever! In the end (when I was about to just give up :hair: ) Lyla decided she would hold still for this good shot. THANK YOU LYLA!! :leap:
    :clap:

Here it is. . . .

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    What do you think of my little brat? :D

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I'm not the best w/ conformation, but she looks pretty good to me! What color is she? She sure is pretty! Great clip job too! :thumbup:

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I had no idea what to call her when she was born so I called Anna Brown (she helps me out a lot!) She called her a light chamoisee; she also has white on her tail and poll, but I forgot to put that on her registration paper. She's polled too! :D I love polled goats! If only they could all be polled. . . . alas it would not work.

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, that's a tricky color for sure! I never would have guessed light chamoisee! Anna has had so much experience w/ the goats, she'd be the person to ask, :) I know what you mean about polled goats, I LOVE them! It would make raising goats so much easier! I got a polled buck from Anna so I'm really hoping he throws polled kids on the does he breeds! That would be so great!

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yeah, I was guessing dk. red gold w/ dorsal & facial stripes. . . . I thought chammies were supposed to have black on their bellies but Anna knows much, much more than me! She does have black striping down her legs like a chammie. Thank goodness for mentors! :D

7. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    She looks pretty good, she could use a more lean dairy neck and shaper withers and shoulders, but she's a nice doeling. I agree on the color, chammies normally have black legs and a breast collar but I would have listed her a light or abbreviated chammy too. :)

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Great clip job! I like her color too...but what really stands out to me is her high escutcheon and her length! She has a nice topline too! :greengrin:

9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Ashley - that's exactly what I would like to change about her, (her withers & shoulders) although I think her neck is okay. I did not clip her neck very well, couldn't hold her still and operate the clipper and my stanchion won't allow both the goat's head and the clippers in at the same time. :roll: So, that's why her neck looks weird. Would u put it on a website or wait for a better one?

Yeah, this girl is really LONG! Love that about her, she also is really, really dairy. She was accidently closely line-bred on Hayseed Farms FA Flash Dancer, a really nice buck from around here (recently passed away). He was a super dairy buck w/ awesome kids. We have three of his daughters (two are coming home w/ us soon) a granddaughter, Lyla, and a grandson. He's a really great buck. Anywho, she has a lot of good qualities about her but those withers & shoulders bug me. . . . hope she freshens w/ a great udder!

10. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    She is a pretty girl. I would like to see tighter, sharper withers. Better blending from her neck into her withers and more of a brisket. Also a cleaner higher, more rounded escutcheon. Her teats look to be good size and nicely placed too. She is very long. It is always hard to judge on a photogragh, but that is what I can tell from it.

She is a very pretty color.

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, I guess I should have mentioned that I didn't "stack" her or place her legs at all. This is just her standing naturally, hard to believe she was still for that time. . . . :) I don't really "stack" our goats too often (unless showing or practicing for the ring). I guess I just like the way they look "naturally". Call me crazy. . . . I think w/ that line-breeding, it brought out these "bad" traits in Lyla. I do not like breeding that closely and it was a total accident.

Do you think one of these pictures would be better for the website??

12. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    She is clipped a 1/4 inch over her body, a little closer on the rear legs. I'm terrible w/ clipping! She is 8 months old. Do u think her brisket could develop more w/ time? I'm pretty happy with her spring of rib, she's not quite as wide as Claribelle, but is a tad more dairy. I'll be clipping Claribelle soon and would like to get opinions on her. :D Although I feel embarrassed because our goats are nothing compared to some of yours (esp Muddy Creek, your goats are awesome!) It is informative to hear what other breeders think. . . . thanks for the opinions!

13. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Olivia - there are faults with EVERY single goat. I think you have some very promising goats. Especially some of your young stock. Brisket may come with age, not too sure on that one. She appears to be deep bodied. Like I said, hard to tell from photos. So much of a goats conformation comes from watching them move and feeling them.

14. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    She puts me in the mind of Chaebree and if she freshens anything like her you'd be sure to keep that doe. ;) I have a Chaebree granddaughter and use to have a grandson too.

She's a very pretty doe and does have the length that you mentioned. Nice doeling.

15. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yeah, she's not my favorite but I still want to see an udder on her before deciding whether to keep her or not. . . . I can't imagine selling her as she was my first Nigerian kid born (actually second, she was one of quads) :) I was just looking at her in the yard and her brisket looked a lot better, maybe just the way she was standing. I hate that I have to be so picky about my goats but I can't help it! My aunt says I'm too critical. . . . :D I do love my goats though! Just would like to change a couple things about them. . . .