Friendly buckling = friendly buck?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by sierra marie cooke, Jun 13, 2020.

1. sierra marie cooke

sierra marie cooke New Member

Dec 22, 2019
    Summer shade ky
    I recently bought an adorable buckling, he was terrified of me when I first got him. We have become friends since then and I LOVE him to bits. He is sooooo uber friendly he will follow me around for pets. He loooves pets and scratches. I was wondering do friendly bucklings become mean bucks or will Peaches stay my little sweety?

2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I usually caution people to not make bucks their sweety. He can have back scratches and learn to lead on a collar, stand tied, allow hoof trims. He can have occasional treats, but you don't want an in your face buck. Never let him butt you, cut you off or get too annoying for attention. He needs to respect your space.

3. sierra marie cooke

Dec 22, 2019
    Summer shade ky
    He's never tried to be mean, though he is pretty young. He is already peeing on his face though. All my goats are big pets, they're all kinda like dogs. He will follow me sometimes and and push his nose into my hand for attention. But he doesn't bug me too much. He does seem to respect my space, or at least I think he does. He's the goat in my photo, he didn't mind me taking a selfie with him.

4. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Yeah, overly friendly bucks can turn into pushy, sometimes dangerous bucks when rut and testosterone kicks in. They need to respect you, and sometimes there is a fine line between friendly and dangerous. Mine are friendly, but know their boundaries. If I give treats, which I do to all my goats, the bucks treats go in their feed buckets with their grain and not from my hand. And...even with the does, they need to "earn" the treats by doing something I want them to do....stand still on the milkstand, pose correctly for show, that sort of thing.

5. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    If you wether him, he will not become a hormone crazed buck. Unless he is a superior buck that you have for breeding, wethering (neutering) might be your best bet to keep him as a good buddy.

MadHouse, Ashlynn, Damfino and 3 others like this.
  6. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    They can look sweet but often their friendly playing as kids is their way of asserting dominance. Does he cross in front of you while you're walking?

7. sierra marie cooke

Dec 22, 2019
    Summer shade ky
    He follows behind me. He will approach me, but he hasn't crossed in front of me while I'm walking.

8. sierra marie cooke

Dec 22, 2019
    Summer shade ky
    It's the same for my does, they trade milk for feed. My two first fresheners are angels on the stand too... I think I'm lucky with how good my does are. My buckling though I don't think he's done anything disrespectful. He doesn't push me or pester me when I'm done petting him.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  9. sierra marie cooke

Dec 22, 2019
    Summer shade ky
    He's a registered alpine buckling, so he's going to be my breeding buck. He does have 2 wether friends to keep him company.

10. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    The issue is a lot of people won’t put a stop to things that seem cute now but will be dangerous when he is a hormonal, depending on the breed 200 pound animal that only has one thing on his brain. And also won’t establish personal boundaries. I have had 3 absolutely sweet bucks over the years and I didn’t put up with anything from them. I had a firm hand and have no issue making a lasting impression when they did something that was NOT ok. A lot of people can’t do that. They can’t swat their baby because he’s adorable and friendly and crawls into your lap to get their attention for loves, because he only wants loves now but one day he’s going to want girls and plowing you down to get to them won’t bother him. No buck is 100% trustworthy but one with not a speck of fear and respect of humans is the lest trustworthy of all.

David13-5, MadHouse, Damfino and 7 others like this.
  11. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    If he's friendly as a kid, most likely he will be friendly when he is older.
    I've never had a "mean" buck.

12. TexasGoatMan

TexasGoatMan Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Dekalb, Texas
    We have Nubians and TanMan is as nice a buck as you can ask to own. Bottle raised and gentle to handle. However after he got older and through his first breeding season he became a little bolder and just a hand swat was not enough to discourage him. The cattle hot shot did the trick. I can walk out in the lot with the hot shot and he knows to keep his distance other wise he is up close and friendly. So during breeding season he stays in his pen until needed and we keep an eye on him even though he has never tried to get ruff. He leads easy and gets on the milk stand and easy to trim his feet but A two hundred lb billy standing up on his back legs is about 7 feet tall and quite impressive. So keep him friendly but respectful of you.

13. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Like everyone else said, it’s all about them respecting boundaries. All of our bucks are friendly, and like getting some petting on the neck and back. They’re actually easier to handle than the does when it comes to foot trimming.

Our youngest buck just turned one year old and just got to breed a couple of does for fall. He’s turning into a jerkface and we’ve had to get onto him multiple times. Probably time for the spray bottle to come back out. He’s challenging the mature bucks who are twice his size and not backing down from them. Typical young buck. He’s not mean, but feeling his hormones.

14. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    What breed is he? In the picture, he looks kinda like an alpine?
    If he is a large breed imagen anything he does now as a 200+ pound animal. That means no jumping! Don't let him put his face in your face!
    If you are keeping him with horns be careful around him! I know he's not mean but I have had my fair shear of bruises from my sweetest buck because I let him too close and he wasn't careful with them.

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  16. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I Love my bucks. I love my bucklings. I respect them and teach them to respect me. I always ask myself, when you grow into a 200+ lb freight train. Will you stop and respect what Ive taught you.? And keeping this in mind, I agree with Jessica84& others that demand respect. Otherwise..we are the ones that get hurt.

17. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    My bucks have always been friendlier than my does, however they are also bigger, stronger, and stinkier than the girls. Like everyone else has said being friendly is fine and he will probably remain that way, but make sure it doesn’t cross into pushy, dangerous behavior that could hurt you when he is a big boy.

18. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    Just put my 2 cents in from a Novice. I got one, he was a doll as a baby and for the most part he still is. The biggest thing, is he a male and he's intact so you gotta know.

I dont ever really take my eyes off of him.
    Firm but solid commands keeps clyde at bay for me but for the wife he is still learning.
    I dont let him ram my or anyone else.

19. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Also don't scratch or push on his head. This goes for does and whether too but its especially bucks

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  20. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    Definitely don't use the horns for discpline or leading or pushing or anything. They take that as a challenge and even the good boys will "buck" then. lol