The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goat friend asked me to pregnancy test his new doe, and CAE test her at the same time. And her CAE came back POSITIVE. I just got the results tonight, so I haven't told him yet. I want to know what advise should I give him? (he's 83 years old, and has had lots of disappointments from his goats) What should I tell him to do? Also, the doe came back positive for being pregnant!! He should probably get his other two goats CAE tested, too. Advise appreciated!!!

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Retesting is smart, sometimes a false positive occurs. Tell him there's a chance she has CAE, but you won't know for sure until the second results come in. In the meantime have him research CAE+ goat care and options for the kids.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use BioPryn for testing, so I'll test her again when I test his other two goats. Can CAE travel by humans? Because, I was around her a lot, and then I fed my herd.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
It's not possible for you to spread CAE to your goats unless you had milk from a CAE positive doe on you and one of your goats licked it. You don't have to worry about tracking it onto your farm on the bottom of your shoes because unlike CL and Johnes, CAE doesn't survive long in the environment.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Ive always used Biotracking with good results...or at least I hope it was good lol...they use the ELISA test for CAE just as WADDL does...

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
My goat friend asked me to pregnancy test his new doe, and CAE test her at the same time. And her CAE came back POSITIVE. I just got the results tonight, so I haven't told him yet. I want to know what advise should I give him? (he's 83 years old, and has had lots of disappointments from his goats) What should I tell him to do? Also, the doe came back positive for being pregnant!! He should probably get his other two goats CAE tested, too. Advise appreciated!!!
If the second tests come back positive, all is not lost. She can kid normally, but he should "pull" the kids at birth and not let them have her colostrum or milk. They'll need to get some from a CAE negative goat or use some kind of replacer. You can research "CAE prevention" to find out more.

Someone who has done this will be able to help you out. I think many people either have had to do this or are doing it now.

·
Super Moderator
58,881 Posts
You don't want to send it to the same lab. You want to send it somewhere else for a second test. Nothing wrong with them.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
I agree with glndg...all is not lost...the hardest part is catching the baby before it nurses...I lost a few nights sleep when my CAE pos. doe was to kid...thankfully that worked out for me but for your friend, he may need some helpers to watch and help...he will need clean clostrum and milk supply...

As for mom...as long as she is not showing signs of CAE, ie: swollen painful knees, unthriftiness ect..she is still fine for milk...for his own use....if he is not very attached to her and rather not bother with CAE then he could cull her or process her...Personally I dont see the sale barn to be an option since it will only spread the issue to unknowing buyers...I dont mean to sound harsh but we all have a responsability to help stop the spread...there are also CAE positive ranches that buy good quaity registered CAE positive goats...their goal is to buy super cheap or get for free and breed while practicing CAE preention..getting great blood lines at a risk but are very successful in doing so...so that too is an option...I was blessed to find a single home for my girls when we first started testing..I had some very nice girls I sold for the price of one with no papers to a lady who just wanted milk for her and her hubby...and had beeninthe goat world for many years before, s understood CAE ....any way..there are options...

Best wishes

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm going to see if I can give him some fresh milk and colostrum from my does when they kid (they're due a month earlier). I just called him and told him. I'm going to try and go over to his place soon and re-test her, and test his other goats.

Is there anything I should tell him to do for Ebony (the doe), other than separating her from the other goats?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I wouldn't separate her. CAE is spread through milk so just being around the other goats shouldn't put them at risk.

Just separate her before she kids.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
I agree..my girks.ran together for years before I knew they were positive...once the doe is in milk however..the risk increases...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Here is what I would do.

I would raise the kids on heat treated colostrum and pasteurized milk.

I mean if these are good kids, well bred. If they are just average junk kids then he could just sell them for meat and not bother with the pasteurizing.

If he wants to pasteurize the kids I would be there when born. As soon as then come out start cleaning the face off. Use a towel or paper towel and wipe the fluids BACK from the nose and mouth toward the ears to avoid the kids swalling much blood, fluid.

Raise the kids separate from the adult herd. As was said if he hand milks then make 100% sure your hands are clean of milk. I think it's always better to feed the kids FIRST and then milk.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
In case you missed the post in another thread, Jill said that she and other breeders have noticed that if you feed the pregnant does at 12 am and 12pm, they usually kid during the day. (Hers did.) That would certainly make it a lot easier to catch the doe kidding. Helpers would still be a good idea.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts