Friends goat staggering, drooling. HELP!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Nigerian dwarf goat, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    My friends goat was fine yesterday, and this morning, she is staggering, drooling, unsteady on her feet. I gave her some awesome vet numbers. I am guessing meningeal worm, but I am not for sure. Maybe Polio?? I am not 100%, but any advice is appreciated!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Also, they take awesome care of their goats, so it has nothing to do with poor management. :)
    I gave her some vet numbers, and i think she has called them already too.

3. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Could the goat have gotten into a poison of any kind? Plant or chemical.

4. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    It couldn't hurt to do probios and Vitamin B...
    Listeriosis also comes to mind. Is she stargazing and or circling too?
    Snake bite also could cause this...Has she checked her goat for signs of bites?
    I hope she's ok!

5. Treva Brodt

Treva Brodt Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2019
    West Union, Ohio
    Neurological symptoms are never good and my first suggestion would be contact a vet. If that's not possible post pictures here. I once saw another goat owner diagnose a facial droop from a picture, so the experienced owners are pretty darned good at pinpointing the problem and giving advice until you can get a vet or transport to one that will see your goat. It could be listeriosis or polio and most people treat them the same with the exception of giving prescription strength thiamine in polio. Thiamine is supposed to turn polio around in 1-2 days (I couldn't get it when I needed it) and I can't tell you how to do that if you are unable to find a vet or friend that will give you enough to treat one goat. Someone here shared a website for race horse meds but the folks that have tried it recently said they could no longer connect. Fortified Vitamin B IS NOT STRONG ENOUGH, I've tried it as a last ditch effort and all I did was inflict more pain on an already sick goat. I think there is more headache pain from the encephalitis associated with polio than listeriosis as evidenced by pressing the forehead against something, shaking the head and apparent blindness, but symptoms so overlap and, the only difference is thiamine does't have much benefit if it's polio. I am unable to find the antibiotic schedule, I thought I had a screen shot of high dose Penicillin and and steroids to give. You may be able to find it by going to Health & Wellness or asking some to share it again. You also may be able to find it on Tennessee Meat Goats or Onion Creek Ranch websites. Best of luck to you, time is of the essence, they go down fast. The earlier and more aggressive the treatment, the more likely you are to save the goat.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Get a vet involved, could be poisoning, listeria or other.

This is a emergency.

7. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    She has gotten a vet involved, thank you

I have linked this thread to her, but I am sure she is busy today, and has not seen it yet :)

toth boer goats and Treva Brodt like this.
  8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Sounds like Polio or listeriosis...glad a vet in on the case..

9. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Ok she just got back with us. Joy (the goat) was dropped off at the vets, and she said she had a 50% chance of living. Keep her in yalls prayers!

10. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
  11. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Oh no, I'm so very sorry for your friend and you :(

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  12. toth boer goats