Friends wanting to "borrow" billy...risks to my herd?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Tallistrailblzr, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Tallistrailblzr

Tallistrailblzr New Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Southeast TN
    We have friends with myotonic goats like ours. They only have 2 does, but I am not sure what vaccinations they have had or what their property is like. They are wanting to borrow our billie when he matures to cover their does when they are ready. What is the best procedure for this? Is it as simple as horses where we just trailer him there, let him do his business in the barn and trailer him back or does he have to be left several days to get the job done? Also, when I bring him back, what is the quarantine time for putting him back in the farm? It is usually 7-14 days for a horse.

Also, since he will just be coming into puberty (born this April so should be ready by November or December) how many does can he effectively cover? we have 2-3 that will be ready.

If these goats are all unregistered, but are all 100% myotonic, do you charge a small fee normally? I wasn't sure with the registration not being an option. Maybe $50 per doe or so...

2. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

Gerry and I have decided to offer one of our bucks for local service this Fall. BUT(!!!) we have an isolated place on our own farm for people to bring their does to us, so no interaction with the rest of our herd, ever. The buck will have his own wether for company. It is uncertain whether he will rejoin the rest of the herd before Spring, when we would blood test again.

There will be a breeding charge, and a boarding charge, and it will be up to the owners of the does if they want to board or not. The charge might not be cash, as we are very open to the barter system. Value for value is our issue. Cash is, of course, always acceptable.

I would not lend our buck out, because the people around here seem to have odd ideas about goat care/needs. Good luck to you, and to us as well!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015

3. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    I would want to be sure that the farm takes excellent care of their animals so your buck would be well tended to, as well as all the does be disease tested. I'd want to see them in person at drop-off so that you're not bringing sickness, pinkeye, lice, etc back into your herd. :)

If I was to offer breeding, I personally wouldn't bring my buck off property ... I'm too paranoid! I would offer driveway or pen breeding here to disease tested and healthy does. But at this time I've chosen not to offer breeding because sometimes sticky situations can arise.

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm very thankful that someone is willing to let my girls be bred to their male. I take them over to the buck's place and leave them for a month. There are certainly chances that you take but I don't have enough room or does to justify owning my own buck.

5. mariarose

That is the reason I ended up buying a buck, the understandable inability to find people willing to let me bring my does onto the property. But I could not have just one buck, I needed 2, for the companionship issue. Then, heck, 3 would do even better. Then I discovered I actually really LIKE bucks, and how different they are from does. Now I am now quite overbucked, and I have agreed to buy a buckling next year. I have read every buck thread here, I think! I love the buck evaluation threads best.

Around here, there is an attitude of anything with testicles will do (they don't use the word testicles, btw) including sons and brothers. Small herds don't justify having a buck with some quality. I'm hoping to help with that starting this Fall (and it will help me justify having so many bucks!!!)

6. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I totally refuse to stud my buck out. To risky. But that's me :) i did let a friend use my buck years ago to have as a buddy for her buck and never again. She took good care of him and everything but he was a little jerk when he got home. I don't think she abused him by any means just simply let him get away with crap and I had to straighten him out when he got home not just scold as he did something wrong. Also as mentioned not everyone sees eye to eye on manage their goats. If they feed different then you do are they going to slowly change him over? Do they have good fences to keep neighbor dogs or predators out? I think it would be less stressful for you to have them bring over to you, but you would want to make sure they are not with your herd just in case.
    As for a fee, i don't think it matters if their goats are papered or not, that has nothing to do with the quality of your buck. Kinda a rule of thumb around here that people use is 10% of the purchase price. So if you paid $500 for the buck then it would be $50 a head plus board, but that doesn't mean you need to follow that, that's just how people do it ;)
    I would also wait 30 days before he is allowed back in the herd, just like you would when you purchase a goat.

7. Tallistrailblzr

Aug 10, 2015
    Southeast TN
    Yeah I am not a fan of the whole "studding him out thing" but they don't want to buy a buck and we are forever exchanging things we have or make for a barter. I just want to keep my buck and herd healthy. I do know that they had twins born earlier this year and they both died...that makes me nervous. Maybe I should just do the driveway method or isolated area with them bringing the does to me. Thanks everyone. Love this forum!

8. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    If you are uncomfortable, it's okay to pass. They are your goats. There are also sexually transmittable diseases that you would want to be sure her herd didn't have if there were some health issues. Best of luck!

9. I'd suggest two things:

First, have them bring their does to you. My buck is a BIG investment on many levels...I will NOT let him leave my property. Having said that, before he was mature enough to cover my does, I worked a deal with a friend and I transported one of my does to her buck. I knew her herd was healthy, and I knew my herd was healthy. Once I left her for a month (but she didn't settle); the 2nd time we hand bred and I took her right back home. Everybody was happy and safe.

Second, be sure their does are tested and clear for at least CAE and Johnnes. I'm sure you'd have the same requirement for any animal you purchased, so play it safe and apply that to any doe you allow in contact with your buck.

As for the fee, I've paid cash, and now I'm in a barter transaction. A dog breeding for a goat breeding. I picked up a nice little Spanish doe and want to start a meat line for personal (not commercial) use. A neighbor has very nice Myotonics, and I have a very nice male LGD. Voila! Barter.

However you go, use common sense and keep your long-term goals in mind. Introducing disease into your herd or otherwise damaging your buck is, I'm pretty sure, not in those long-term goals! :eek:)

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have a closed herd and I won't risk it. Even to friends or family.

Too many diseases out there to worry about and what if, something happens that your buck, he gets severely injured, dies or brings a nasty disease home to your herd. Not for me and I do say no a lot to many who ask, it is my herd, my decision and I feel if a friend ect does not like it, it is just the way it is.

11. mariarose

Yes, everyone has to manage their own herd according to their own circumstances. And all of us seem to have the best interests of their own herds as top priority. It is totally understandable to not allow other goats on the property, and it is also totally understandable to allow other goats on. And there are completely legitimate ways of breeding outside the box as well. Perhaps as the 2 families come closer in understanding/outlook they will come up with other solutions. Perhaps the owner of the buckling can breed her does first, then sell/barter the buckling to the other family (so no contact between the herds at all). Perhaps family #2 can buy a half interest in the buckling and therefore have a financial interest in protecting him (and by extension, the herd with whom he lives)

I would only say this to the OP. I can see no real reason why you are obligated to send your boy away. If I read your postings correctly, he is your only buck option (UNLIKE me) so you have no somewhat disposable option here (UNLIKE me) You have the right to keep him close.

A buck rag can help family #2 to know when its does are in standing heat, and that may mean a more mature buck than your buckling. Is there ANYONE around with a mature aromatic buck who will allow you to destroy some handtowels by rubbing them all over the buck? Bucklings are not known for producing an over abundance of stink. They can get the job done, sure! but they don't produce enough perfume to make the girls swoon. And so the girls may not give off enough signals to make family #2 notice the girls are ready for that trip now.

I don't want you pressured to allow your only buck option off your farm because of lack of signaling by the does of family #2.

But whatever you, the OP, decides, I know it will be the best you can do, right now, in whatever circumstances you have.

12. Tallistrailblzr

Aug 10, 2015
    Southeast TN
    Wow this is all great info! Thanks so much for all the contributions. I will definitely take it all into consideration for sure. Yes he is our only buck for now. My husband wants to get a bper/kiko cross buck too, but who knows.