The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to worm all the kids next week that will be 6 weeks old . I was wondering what most use for the 1st time . I have already treated them with sulmet for coccidia prevention now that they are eating hay and picking on the ground at the new green grass.They will get their CDT shot tommorrow since they are over a month now . I like to leave time between each dirrerent thing that needs to be done . So what is the best to start with ?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I give CD&T shots when they are 4 months, 8 months and 1 year old as per my vet. He said they don't utilize the vaccine until then. After that I just give it once a year.

·
Super Moderator
82,572 Posts
I give CD&T shots when they are 4 months, 8 months and 1 year old as per my vet. He said they don't utilize the vaccine until then. After that I just give it once a year.
As for the CD&T...we always give it at 3 months old ( 1st timers)... booster I believe is 28 days later as instructions...this is my vets opinion as well.. ..they need the booster .. 28 days later or the immunity will not build properly.....then it can be given 1 to 2 times a year ....with our preggo does... we give it 1 month prior to kidding ...it all depends on the animal in the time of needing... :wink: :greengrin:

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
So if given 4 months apart they do not build imunity? All this goat stuff is getting confusing since everyone does it different. :hair: :hair:

·
Super Moderator
82,572 Posts
So if given 4 months apart they do not build imunity? All this goat stuff is getting confusing since everyone does it different.
I respect where you are coming from... :hug:
there are alot of different methods on things....but this one ...I believe is accurate...

on any vaccination.. you have to give a booster shot..whatever the instructions say to build up immunity properly... then it is annually after that......so if you vaccinate... be sure to do it again when the instructions specify.....good luck.. :wink:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On the cdt all the moms had a shot 3 weeks prior to kidding .I do the kids at4- 5 weeks and then their booster 20 days later . I wean mine at 8weeks and like them to leave with their shot. I like to worm them in between the shots . What wormer do most use for their 1st time .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts