from feeding 1 to 3?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by nhsmallfarmer, May 3, 2008.

1. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Sorry if I am putting this in the wrong section. :oops:

I am looking for input on what to do now with the twins I have from Fern (who passed away yesterday) She was nursing her twins, also in the pen was Brandy with her 1 doeling. Now poor Brandy has all 3 of the kids trying to nurse from her, she keeps kicking or pushing the twins away, which I understand they are not hers. I have been bottle feeding them but we are going to be using the milk for our family (atleast that was the plan) is there something else I use to feed the twins? :shrug: I have thought of just separating all 3 of the kids but I feel poor Brandy will be lonely :( The twins will be 3 weeks old Sunday and Brandys Doeling will be 3 weeks on Tuesday)

Thanks
    Michelle
    SawDust Farm
    New Hampshire

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Go to your local Farm and Tractor,Ochlyn,Ex. and get milk replacer.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Well you have to do what you have to do. Unless you want to get milk replacer I don't know of any other option you have except to bottle feed with the other does milk. :shrug: If you do get milk replacer I suggest Land -o-lakes and do the switch slowly or you will end up easily with bloated kids or some bad cases of diarreah.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    If you get milk replacer, I would still feed them half replacer half milk. We have around a dozen orphaned/rejected bottle babies right now that are eating most of our milk, and sometimes you have to cater to them before you can your own family.

5. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    hey
    i hope that you have your situation handled....since i'm a little late.

my first time at bottle babies ... just a little over a month now.

i would use regular whole milk from the grocery store...if you can.

we almost lost Sephira to milk replacer....and alough i have a huge bag of it left...i won't use it again.

since Sephira, we've had 3 more kids to raise after one thing or another happened, and they're doing just fine.

Sephira is at least 2 times bigger and more lively than her brother who was mom raised till he was 3 weeks old.

hope this helps.

nella

6. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Well, I certainly learned ALOT in the past 24 hours.
    sadly :cry: I lost one of the new kids (whisper) she had a fever, wasnt going the bathroom (poop) an was just standing there crying. stupid me :GAAH: thought maybe she just realized her mom was no longer there, but no she was sick so i gave her an enema an got her pooping (kinda, only when giving the enema would she poop) gave her baby asprine for the fever, and MOM for the upset belly. I spent the day working with her, after an enema and dose of MOM she would feel just a bit better, but by nite fall she looked terrible. stand there crying like she hurt, so I laid her over my legs an rubbed her belly she seemed to like that, she pooped again. so I gave her another asprine and I went to bed. sadly though she was gone by morning, I feel really bad having just lost her mom, I didnt realize that the moms licking of the rectum area stimulated them to poop, so maybe she had not of pooped since the mom died. so all that milk i was bottle feeding her just settled an didnt more.
    so far the other goats are all fine, I am going out there an do a total barn disinfection today I do hope I dont have anything contagious in there :GAAH:

thanks for listening to my rambling
    Michelle

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  8. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    i'm sorry to hear that.
    i have been in your shoes twice and dreded every moment of it....as you feel so helpless.

since them...and lots of research, i was able to save 3 so far.

at 3 weeks old....i was feeding from a bowl....cuz at that point, i taught them to do so...
    however, i was feeding about 20 oz per day. yeah, some may say its a lot...but she's super good :)
    try to if you can, do about 2-3 oz per feeding....it worked great for me....but you have to find time.
    Sephira went from scouring really bad to no poop at all...i gave her 4 enemas in 2 days...after that, she did it on her own.
    i'm not sure how much you were feeding...but you just need to feel the belly. normally, its very "squishy" for lack of better words...once you get even 2 oz in them...you feel a difference...it becomes more hard. so when you get to a point....if you're not sure how much to feed....just keep feeling their bellies until they feel firm...but not bloated and you should be fine. if you dont' think they are getting enough....just give them about an hour or two and give them a little more. frequent is always better than too much at once.
    your situations kinda sounds like my first babies...they got an infection via the umbilicus.
    you need to make sure you dip their umbilical cords ... i went crazy after those two..and was dipping 2 times daily for about a week with the others....and nothing bad so far. :)
    they will miss their mommy...but as long as you keep 'em in your lap or play with them...they won't even remember cuz they are entertained all the time.
    i'm not sure how the mommy is doing....but i know in my cases....i wouldn't leave them in with that nursing mom. they really can hurt the little ones. i touched Eva, one of my 3 hour old girls...without washing my hands...and mommy head butted her so bad...i wanted to smack her....my hands smelled like the other goats and thats all it took to have a bottle baby for us. she will most likely never feed them, so you need to make sure they are getting enough. you can always give them a TINY little bit of vitamins or even a goat drench...or appetite stimulant if they're not interested in feeding.....ahhh sorry to ramble.
    another example is Aladdin....doing absolutely great with mommy for the first 2 weeks...the other day i walk out there and he's just laying in the sun...didn't nurse all day...so i took him in.....weak weak weak.
    i took him to the vet cuz he didn't want to eat or walk. he was diagnosed with pneumonia...and he said that Aladdin won't make it. i've given him vitamins...fed him with a dropper for the next 24 hours...and holy moly was he screaming for milk the next morning! and he's been doing good too.
    i guess if all else fails...take their temp and condition and try to compare it to what others say on the net. there are tons of infos out there...thats what helped me.
    our first goat was a 5 moth old doe....NOT pregnant...she was so cute. and had no udder .. and was SKINNY.. a few days after we got her....boom! 2 premies popped out...at that time, i had NO CLUE on anything. so experience plays a big part.
    my vet also told me that this happens....its a normal part of having goats....i of course didn't take that too well. and promised myself that i will do whatever i can to save another and another. so far the babies are good...now i have an issue with my bucks.

if you have any other questions...just ask...or send me an email.
    thanks,
    nella

hope this helps! and good luck!!!!

9. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    So sorry you lost one. :(
    I would not do replacer, I've done the replacer thing. This year we are buying whole milk form the grocery store and feeding kids. I would say goats milk is the best, if it were me, I would feed them what goat milk you have till they can be weaned, then you can get your milk.
    Also, isn't MOM what is given for dirahea? I don't know, but that's what is in the back of my head for some reason. ??

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Michelle,
    I m so sorry for all that you have gone through. :hug: You sure need a real hug but that is all I can give you.
    I sure hope things turn a new leaf for you.

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am SOOOOO sorry about loosing a baby. I know how it feels when that happens.... I lost a 4 week old a month ago.

When I bottle fed I did not use the replacer, I used a formula mix that I heard about on here.

I took 1 gallon whole cows milk (Take out 2 cups)
    Add 1 cup buttermilk and 1 can evaporated milk.

For the mid day bottles (I have to work during the day) I took tube socks and cut a slit in the toe of them and then nailed it to the barn wall and hung the bottles there. They would get them when they got hungry again. I never had a problem, and with the socks, it taught them to not butt the bottle so bad because it would go flying if they did it in to the bottles in the socks!!

I hope everything works out for you.

Allison

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm so sorry you lost her :( :hug:

jBlaze, MOM acts as a buffer for the rumen if they have stomach upsets, it also prevents acidity from forming when the rumen is inactive, and helps move toxins out in case they ate something bad. I usually give it with olive oil.

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    So sorry you lost the little one, I do hope you get the information you need from here, so many of us, as you can see, have dealt with similar situations. :hug:

14. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    thank you all :grouphug:
    yes I did get some info from this site as well as http://www.goatlink.com , what I did was research what I saw for symptoms then took it from there.
    She was (as is her brother) bottle fed after there mom died, I used the milk from Brandy to feed them. I will continue to do that for the little buckling.

I feel really bad for my 10 yr old dd, she wanted to keep the doeling that is left, but the one that died was spoken for, an now I feel I have to sell him the remaining doeling :( But I reminded my dd that the money we get from selling them 2 we have enough to go buy 2 milking does.

I spoke to a friend today an she said the doeling might of gotten that way out of sadness that her mom was gone, anyone ever heard of that before?

15. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I have kids lose their mothers and yes they do get pretty depressed, usually if they are older kids though.