From NorthWest Ohio here!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by JessaLynn, Aug 30, 2009.

1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Thought I would say howdy and tell ya alittle bit about myself and my family.We currently do not own any goats but are very interested in getting some by next spring.Doing research as much as possible to get everything set up and find the right breed for us.We own 2 acres of land so wont be getting alot of them.I have owned chickens for the past 6 years and have under 60 layers and bantams right now.My son does 4H but is a cloverbud still and wants to show fancy poultry (silkies).I have been wanting goats for us but just now talked my husband into it :leap: We want to start with a pair of pygmies because they are so darn cute and it could be a possible project for one of my kids.I do want a milking goat so we have milk for ourselves and I can learn how to make soap,cheese,butter with it.I was thinking a nubian dwarf would give me enough for what I need but not sure.We have 6 in our family but we go threw 2 gallons of cows milk a week so would it be enough? Should I just get a regular nubian? I'm also researching building plans for their housing and want to do it right.I don't want to get to fancy but any advice would be appreciated.My husband can be handy so he is doing all the work along side my two older boys age 10 and 7.So that's just alittle about us and I can tell we are gonna find alot of good info here!
    :wave:
    Jessica
    mom of 3 boys 10,7,2yrs old and 1 girl 4yrs old
    50+ chickens,1 cocker spaniel puppy named Alannah,2 barn cats,and 1 loving husband :love: adding more animals each year :)

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome from SW PA!!!

Sounds like you have done your homework on goats, you are sure to get alot of advice on what you need. I have Nigerian Dwarfs and ND/Pygmy crosses. I milk my girls too, with 3 does being milked 2x a day at peak production I was getting just under a gallon each day, so if your family use is 2 gallons weekly, you would have plenty for all the goodies made from the milk. :wink:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    welcome....Jessica.... :wave: so glad ...to have you here..... :thumbup: :greengrin:

4. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Howdy! :wave: I am from NW Ohio as well! And I so happen to raise pygmies! :) Pygmies are great pets and they make wonderful 4-H animals! ;) I take them every year! And they never have failed me!

Anyway, welcome! :wave:

5. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    RowdyKidz, where about are you located? I just looked over your website and I'm wondering if you are close by me! We are just ouside of Fremont,OH about a mile or 2.If you are within an hour from us, I know where we are getting our pygmies from :leap: I really like the carmel brown color ones you have and maybe something we would be interested in if you have any in spring!

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Welcome to TGS!!! :wave:

7. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Actually I live in the same town! How neat!! Def less than an hour!

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome :wave: Glad you are hear. That is great that you are getting information before you get the goats. That is great.
    WOW you have a lot of chickens. :yum: :chick: :chick:

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Hello from North Idaho :wave:

I am so glad to see that you are doing your "homework" first!!! Can't wait to see what you get for goaties!!!

10. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    SWEEEET!!! What 4H group are you in Rowdykidz? We deffinitly lucked out then!! I know there are kids in my sons 4H group who have goats but he's new this year so we haven't really gotten to know anyone that much yet.Plus he's still a cloverbud.We know one of the families because we are distant cousins but I don't think her animals are well kept as much as I like.She offered us two goats already but not thrilled about them.I would rather buy from someone I know takes the time and effort into each animal like they should.Hey how did you do at the fair?

11. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Thanks for the warm welcomes :wave: What nice people there is here! Yeah love our chickens!

12. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Good to see another NW Ohioan!! Welcome to The Goat Spot. We raise and show Nubian dairy goats in Wauseon.

13. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Welcome from AL :wave: I am sure you will LOVE TGS!!! :thumbup:

14. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Welcome to TGS!!! :wave:

I agree!! :greengrin:

There are several Ohio members on here...I'm sure you'll enjoy it!!! :)

15. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    :type: Still doing research probably all winter long.I'm glad to know someone sells nubians close by me.I really want a milking doe for our family but a full size may be to much for us not sure. :scratch:

16. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    You can always get a Kinder - a cross between a pygmy and Nubian. :shrug:

17. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    The full size Nubians are so beautiful. I owned a mix breed nubian and she was real easy to handle.

Also Welcome to TGS :wave:

18. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Another one from NW Ohio....woohooo! Welcome, it's nice to have you here!

And what Tara said, I have a kinder, they're a nice compact little goat.