From the NW Corner Pocket

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MachoCabrío, Feb 4, 2009.

1. MachoCabrío

MachoCabrío New Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    Howdy, folks!

I'm digging the forum! Lots of fantastic information here.

I'm from Washington and I'm interested in learning more about judging and raising dairy goats.

A couple years ago, my family rescued a grade quality Nigerian wether and we've been slowly adding one or two here and there as they've come up on Craigslist. Luckily, the goats we have are healthy herd...plus, one of the does is about to kid pretty quick here! As I've spent the last couple months boning up on my goat business...I've realized the importance of having them registered and breeding for more than color. So, I've decided to start investing a little more in animal quality, and I'd like to become a member of this community to share knowledge and pick up some of the oldtimer's wisdom.

Thanks, folks...See you around the board!
    Hecky

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome. Glad to have you join us!

3. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Welcome from AL :wave: Glad to have you here! Whenever you get the chance we would LOVE to see pics of your goats! :leap: And feel free to jump right in and start posting :wink: We have quite a few people on here that raise Nigerians, and even a few from Washington! (and one crazy one from Idaho... but we won't mention her :angel2: )

"oldtimer's wisdom" :ROFL: Allison.... he must be talking about you.... hehehehehe :ROFL: She will KILL me for that one..... It was nice knowing ya! :ROFL:

4. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Welcome to the group Neighbor-or nearlly anyways. I'm located in Idaho-just about an hour or so from the state capitol. My folks raise ADGA registered Saanens. I raise ADGA registered LaManchas. This is a nice place to read about other folks' experiences in raising goats.

5. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Howdy from Oregon!! :wave:
    What part of Washing ton are ya in??
    We raise registered Nigerians, but LOVE all goats!!
    Hope to hear from you soon!!

6. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Victoria, how far from Idaho are you located?

7. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    We are 45 miles from the coast. I was born in Boise!! Lived in Hailey before I fell IN LOVE with Oregon..Our sleepy little logging town is called Vernonia, smack in the middle of nowhere ! :greengrin:
    Are you comin to Oregon?

8. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    A big PAC NW Welcome MachoCabrio!

we are in Snohomish county and raise Boers. Good to have you here!

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Welcome from Idaho :wave:

I love about 30 minutes outside of Coeur d'Alene! Where are you located in the Northwest?

Glad to have you here - and we just LOVE pictures :wink: (hint hint!!)

10. MachoCabrío

MachoCabrío New Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm in Pierce County just outside of Tacoma, Washington.

Here's a picture of Spike, the Craigslist special.

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    What a darn cutie - well if you get to this side of the mountains - let me know :wink:

12. MachoCabrío

MachoCabrío New Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    Kelebek...Sunset Lake Ranch has a great website!

Do you always do blood testing for your pregnancy in your does?

I'm sorry for your loss with Joe Dirt. Man, that hair is legendary!

13. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    :) We pretty much only go just across the bridge into Ontario to go shopping. That's about our only trip into Oregon. We went to Portland quite a bit when I was a kid though.

14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome from SW PA! Spike is a handsome fellow!

I raise nigi's and pygmy nigi crosses....the mini's are the SWEETEST aren't they?
    Glad you enjoy the forum, theres so much contributed by everyone, hope you find what you are looking for.

15. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    WELCOME!!! :wave: Glad to have ya here....and you're not to far from me! Don't be shy to jump on in on posts. You'll really like it here....there are a lot of nigerian dwarf people on here to so you should get lots of info. for your little herd.

16. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Thank you for the compliment in regards to my website! It is always a work in progress and you never know what it might look like day to day. But I think that I have settled on what it looks like now!

I do pregnancy test all of my girls because I like to be able to plan vacations and my college schooling around kidding. I like to have the girls spaced out and the people that place deposits like to know when to expect kids.

I draw my own blood (with the help of hubby) and mail it - so fr $7.50 a test, to me, I prefer it. I also don't run my buck with the girls - so it is a bit harder for me.

Joe Dirt was my man. I know where 1 of his sons is, if I want to purchase him, and I have one confirmed pregnant by him and possibly one more (not sure on daddy till they are born and I do DNA testing.)

Anyway- thanks and if you have ANY questions, please ask!

17. MachoCabrío

MachoCabrío New Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    Kelebek -- That makes a lot of sense to test in order plan your time away. The temp caretakers probably wouldn't appreciate a visit from the stork while you are a few states away!

Thanks for the welcome, Liz and KW Farms! I appreciate it. KW, are you related to the Wilcox family out here in Western Washington?

18. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Welcome from Ohio! Nice blue-eyed goat.

19. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Welcome!! Glad to have you with us! :)

20. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome aboard. :wave: form Colorado. I just love that picture of you goat. That is priceless.