Frontline questions

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Thanatos, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    1: can you use the dor version on goats?

2: Can you use it on potentially pregnate goats?

If not what can i use as a tick repellant/killer on my girls?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I use permethrin as a tick killer/repeller....I spray them when it's warm out to avoid chilling them. Theres also Sevin dust is safe but be careful to avoid the eyes and nose and you too must avoid breathing it in.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I dont know if its safe.

I use VetRX and it works well for killing lice. (administer like frontline) Leaves the goats with greasy spots but I rather them be lice free then pretty looking ;)

4. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    my thing is we have started seeing a few ticks and i want to keep them all safe

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Just a warning from my screw up......when using any thing containing PERMERTHIN, make sure to dilute! I just found this out after burning one of my guys ears badly by using a permerthin base ear mite medicine! I can not tell you how awful he looks and how horrible I feel doing it to him because of my ignorance.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I use the Bronco horse spray with permethrin and citronella...already diluted in a convenient quart sized spray bottle. Now, I also have the permethrin concentrate, it is a must to follow the directions as far as the water ratio, as Denise said, it can cause severe skin irritation.

7. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    i just recently met some one who is using Advantage on her goats. I need to check with the vet, but wouldn't it be nice to do that every 4 mos or so!

8. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Yeah we used that horse spray this summer to, but i ran out and thought that since the dogs needed stuff to I would go for the frontline/advantage. I guess i will get the horse spray. We used it on the dogs already so I know it works for them. Thx guys

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I use permectrin II diluted in mineral oil and it works like a charm