Frothy Bloat - Need advice IMEDIATELY!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RowdyKidz, Nov 15, 2009.

1. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Hey guys, just been talking to one of my good friends. Her pygmy doe has been reguritating food (as in throwing it up, not reguritating cud) froth like, so I am thinking frothy bloat...? Ideas? Suggestions? I haven't seen it so I'm not positive.

And also, what would she need to give her??

Thank you guys so much! I am worried she may loose her...

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Get her to stand up on her hind legs and rub her belly to try and force the air upwards, I'm not sure wether she should be given mineral oil with a gastric tube or to give the baking soda.

3. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Okay...Thanks Liz. I told her to rub the stomach and according to Fiasco Farms she would have to give the doe vetgatble oil...it said not to give mineral.

But I am just really worried that I amy have diagnosed her wrong. So do you think I'm right?

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The greenish froth she is spitting could even be from her choking, if she is coughing and bringing this up, she's likely choked and has something stuck. You are right, I knew that vegetable oil is best....just wasn't thinking when I typed it.

5. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Kay. Thanks Liz. I will be sure to pass this on to Ellie. I personally have never dealt with this so I just needed to be sure I told her the right thing.

And what she was reguritating was white colored.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Sounds like frothy bloat. Is her stomach extended and is she in pain?

Give Milk of magnesia

Here is an article on the different kinds of bloat. Tubing isn't going to be effective if this is frothy bloat unless it is used to introduce something to break down the bubbles.
    http://kinne.net/bloat.htm

7. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    She was showing signs of discomfort, not sure about the extended stomach part. Wish I could get a look at her for myself. :sigh:

Thank you so much RunAround!!!

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    is she jsut throwing up? If thats the case then she needs to be treated for poisoning -- never delt with froathy bloat but I have had experience with goats throwing up - its nasty and can be very alarming to experience

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I agree, if she is throwing up its a possibly poisening. If she is coughing and spitting up white foam it could either be frothy bloat or it could be she has something lodged in her throat.
    Milk of magnesia for frothy bloat, if she is chocking hold her back end a little off the ground and pat her chest. and barrel.
    If its poisening acticavated charcoal and mineral oil.
    beth

10. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    It sounds like it could be frothy bloat and poisoning. I wish there was a picture of her. Does your friend think the does body looks bloated? My doe Daisy got bloat this summer and then what she ate poisoned her causing her to vomit green cud for hours. I treated her bloat with baking soda which worked great along with me patting her rumen with her sitting upright. Then next day when she was vomiting I gave her charcoal mixed with Milk of Magnesia....worked great.

11. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    She had said she's been doing that for a few days. (I was out of town with no phone.) And when I looked up symptoms of bloat, but I also passed on the poisoning. Hoping for a happy ending.

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

If she has been throwing up for a couple of days poisening is probably more likely.
    it wouldnt hurt to treat her. though by now she may have absorbed too much
    beth