The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so in my years of raising goats occasionally I will have a kid develop foam around their mouth. I typically notice it in younger kids. They will scream, shake their heads, grind their teeth, and jump around violently. They never look bloated, but I figured I caught it in the early stages. In the past, I have always treated them for bloat by drenching them with a bloat treatment and within a few minutes, they are back to their old selves. The other day I noticed one of my three week old kids doing the same thing, foaming at the mouth, crying in pain, and shaking her head after eating pelleted feed. Then it dawned on me. Could this be because they are beginning to eat pelleted feed and it's getting stuck in their throats? So instead of reaching for the bloat treatment and drench gun, I took her to the water pail and dipped her mouth in the water for a drink. Within a few minutes, she was fine. Are my suspicions correct? Is this caused by something getting stuck in their throat or is this frothy bloat? Has anyone else experienced anything similar? What's going on? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you...that's kinda what I thought, but wasn't sure. It's just odd that getting something stuck in their throat would cause such discomfort. I had another one do it last night, and sure enough after a couple of trips to the water trough, he was fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts