The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning I gave my 9 week old doeling her red cell via syringe (battling anemia/worms right now), then I fed the herd their grain. That included the doeling. I introduced calf manna and probiotics mixed with their grain for the first time. When the doeling got a mouthful of food she jumped back, pee’d, and then hollered. Then I noticed that she had a frothy mouth. She didn’t have it before. It took a few minutes and then she went back to eating like nothing had happened. I inspected her to check for any kind of illness but I couldn’t find anything wrong on the outside. I thought maybe she didn’t like the taste of the new feed. I have never seen a frothy mouth before. And it went away after a few minutes. Has anyone had this happen before? Is it something I should worry about?

·
8,359 Posts
Was she gulping her food? They can choke, then throw up, get all foamy then are fine. If she keeps gobbling her dinner, put some large fist size rocks in the feed dish and she will have to eat around them slowing down her gobbling. Maybe feed her off by herself to insure she is getting enough to eat without having to fight for her share with the rest of the herd.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks. She is the only kid in the pen right now so she does have to gobble. She will be weaned in two weeks though so I’m trying to get her to the weaning point. I think it was a combination of eating too fast and having new supplements in the food. She is gaining weight very nicely so she is getting plenty to eat. She’s definitely not bashful!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts