Frothy mouth?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Boers4ever, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    So this morning I gave my 9 week old doeling her red cell via syringe (battling anemia/worms right now), then I fed the herd their grain. That included the doeling. I introduced calf manna and probiotics mixed with their grain for the first time. When the doeling got a mouthful of food she jumped back, pee’d, and then hollered. Then I noticed that she had a frothy mouth. She didn’t have it before. It took a few minutes and then she went back to eating like nothing had happened. I inspected her to check for any kind of illness but I couldn’t find anything wrong on the outside. I thought maybe she didn’t like the taste of the new feed. I have never seen a frothy mouth before. And it went away after a few minutes. Has anyone had this happen before? Is it something I should worry about?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    She may of taken too big of a mouth full of it and it may of cut of some air flow and she panicked.

I wouldn't worry. ;)

Boers4ever likes this.

3. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Ok thank you! I just so worried about my babies!!

toth boer goats likes this.
  4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    If it doesn’t continue I would not worry about it at all :)

Boers4ever and toth boer goats like this.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    One of my does foams at the mouth when chewing her cud. Freaked me out the first time I saw it, but she’s fine and it doesn’t cause any issues.

7. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Was she gulping her food? They can choke, then throw up, get all foamy then are fine. If she keeps gobbling her dinner, put some large fist size rocks in the feed dish and she will have to eat around them slowing down her gobbling. Maybe feed her off by herself to insure she is getting enough to eat without having to fight for her share with the rest of the herd.

toth boer goats and Boers4ever like this.
  8. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Ok thanks. She is the only kid in the pen right now so she does have to gobble. She will be weaned in two weeks though so I’m trying to get her to the weaning point. I think it was a combination of eating too fast and having new supplements in the food. She is gaining weight very nicely so she is getting plenty to eat. She’s definitely not bashful!