Frozen Barn

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Lstein, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    So on Wednesday night, I noticed that some uncivilized goat had pooped in their auto waterer. So I opened it up, lifted the float valve up and started emptying it etc. Got it all done, and put the float valve back down and went in the house for the evening and then work the next day.

When I got home from work yesterday, I went up to feed and found a lake in my barn with goats stranded on frozen islands. :eek: Apparently when I lifted up the float valve, I adjusted it higher... so it ran for basically a whole day.

Pretty much the entire goat half is flooded, except for a few islands. It was still soggy throughout most of it despite it being in the negatives. So I was worried their hooves would freeze.

I opened up a large stall on the human side, unflooded, and let them sleep in there for tonight. This morning, everyone still seemed well. It's all frozen now, which seems to help.

Any who, just thought I'd share my blunder and see if anyone has any ideas. Once it starts to thaw more I'm going to take off work and go in with the bobcat to do my cleaning (was going to anyway) but in the mean time I was thinking maybe chipping at the ice and shoveling what I can out?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You can try that but more than likely you will have to wait till it thaws.

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Oh no! They always seem to survive our blunders.
    I have no ideas but at least you have a bobcat.

4. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Oh....I feel for you!

5. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    Hopefully it will kind of sink in more or something. The barn was overdue for a cleaning, I skipped it this fall (ran out of time) so it's getting quite full.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sorry to hear you had that issue. :(
    Hope you can get it all cleaned up soon.

7. TexasGoatMan

TexasGoatMan Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Dekalb, Texas
    Oh man ! That stinks :oops: As far as cleaning it out. Heck I would give it a try while frozen. If you can bust it at the door and get that bobcat working, I would think that you can clean all of it out and have a lot less water to deal with should you wait till it thaws. I would certainly give it a try. I personally would rather shovel ice than sloppy mud and water. I feel for you.:(

toth boer goats and Lstein like this.
  8. New-goat-mom

New-goat-mom Well-Known Member

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    I second this. Water is much easier to deal with when its a solid.

Lstein likes this.
  9. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    Going to try tomorrow afternoon I think, its suppose to get just above freezing. So maybe it will be just enough to get it loose.

Kath G. and toth boer goats like this.
  10. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    Well, spent the whole afternoon trying to remove it. I'd say maybe....10% of it. It's just really soaked into the straw and manure. Couldn't break through it in most places. So I mostly got all the manure and hay that's gathered on it off, then tried throwing icemelt on it and walking around breaking chunks up with a pick axe. Mildly successful.

While waiting for the salt to work in, I did some rearranging with the permanent stalls and some cleaning up. So wasn't a total waste.

Finished up by taking a little more off with the bobcat, worked in all the salt and put a couple straw bales in the dry zones. Then let the goats back in because we are back to winter again today. One nice day of melting and sunshine then back down to the lower teens, overcast, and flurries. :(

I figure between maybe doing this again on a couple nice days and laying more straw down, it'll get soaked up. Luckily I don't have to worry about babies until the first week of April.

Kath G. likes this.
  11. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Get the salt pellets for water softener. Those work great on thick ice.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good advice.

Sorry you are having trouble with it, hopefully soon the stuff will work.