The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Goat Crazy!
6,456 Posts
whole grain bread is fine as an occasional treat. Almost any fruit/veggie is ok. However, onions and garlic will make milk taste off.

My goats don't like citrus peels, but my friend's goats devour them. Mine also don't care for tomato at all - not even the plant.

I've given mine peppers, cukes, celery, carrots, apples, pears, pumpkin and squash (both summer and winter), banana peels, lettuce, cabbage, raisins, grapes, berries...

· Registered
18 Posts
I am seeing lots of different opinions/fact on tomato and tomato plant. I do not have goats yet, I am in the learning stage right now and trying to gather and learn as much as I can before we get our goats, and it is very frustrating (and scary) to see so much contradiction on something so important. A friend who has gotas told me yesterday that tomatoes are poisonous. Then right here on the goat spot there was a link in FAQ's to edible and poisonous plants and tomatoes are listed as edible (and as a good treat!).
is there a good accurate proven list somewhere of plants, fruits and veggies that are for sure, 100%, no contradiction safe?!?!? (we have tomato plants right now so it's very important I know about them for sure!)
:whatgoat:

· GreenTGoats
10,448 Posts
Well, here's how I see it.

Nightshade is poisonous for pretty much everything, goats included. And humans.

Tomatoes are in the nightshade family.

But humans can eat them. I don't remember why.

So most people would just come to the conclusion that it's in the nightshade family, and thus deadly poison, without having tried it out on their goats.

My goats just ignore tomatoes, but I'd be fine with then eating some.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.