Frustrated about Wormers

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Epona142, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Okay, I have read and read threads about worming, but still find myself not quite understanding. There are terms I just don't quite understand and I don't want to do something wrong.

Please, in as simple terms as you can, help me!

What are the meanings of the following terms, and how do these tie in with wormers?
    Pour-on
    Injectable
    I do understand oral at least.

What wormer should I use for Hope? She is due in February.
    The other three range from 5 years old to 7 months old.

Is there a safe wormer for them all?

I do know that Ivermec is a good safe wormer, that much I have gathered. What should I look for when I go to Tractor Supply, and how should the wormer be administered? I have no earthly idea what some of them weigh, but could approximate.

Also, just a confirmation for myself about CD/T. Each goat gets 2 ccs correct? Subcutaneous? Where do you usually inject, over the shoulder I presume. When should Hope receive hers before kidding (I will do the others at the same time) and at what ages should Hope's kids receive theirs.

Anyways, thank you so much. I feel like a real failure for not understanding completely what I am supposed to be doing as far as wormers and really appreciate you guys here and your never ending patience with me. :(

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    dont feel like a failure -- it is rather confusing :hair:

Pour on = a wormer that is liquid and you pour down the back of the animal. Best for external parasites like mites and lice
    Injectable = a wormer that is liquid that you give as a IM (in the muscle) shot

I would use Ivermectin on Hope and the others. It is an good all over wormer. In some areas worms are resistant to it but I doubt in your area because you are so far from everyone else.

Ivermecin is the name of the active ingredient. You can use a horse wormer and check for the 1.79% Ivermectin active ingredient. You then triple the goats weight and then use the paste accordingly.

If you decide to get a livestock injectable ivermectin (there is a brand name Ivomec but it is expensive) then you will dose 1cc per 20lbs giving it orally. If you decide to give the injectable as an IM shot then follow the directions on the packaging which i do believe is 1cc per 100lbs

Yes guestimating will be fine if you use Ivermectin injectable or horse wormer. You cant Over Dose them on it and it is better to overdose then underdose.

CD/T give 4 weeks before Hope is due -- now if she has never had the CD/T shot then you will need to give her a booster shot. YOu want the booster to fall on the 4 weeks before her due date. The booster is given 21 days after the first shot. So you will probably want to give it to her anyday now.

Kids should receive their first CD/T shot at no earlier then 6 weeks. it wont be effective. Some studies say you should wait till they are 10 weeks. I have chosen 9 weeks because 3 weeks later (21 days) will fall around them turing 12 weeks and they are usually ready to go then and i like kids to leave with all their first shots done.

3. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thank you so much for taking the time to write all that out for me. It seems my basic thoughts were right, as far as the horse wormer and the main ingredient.

The last owner of Hope and Uno said they got their vaccines, so this would be her yearly booster (Everyone else's too).

She is due on the 21st, so I should give it around January 21st, correct? Would have to look in my calendar book for exact week dates. I do remember reading about not giving kids it too early as its ineffective, so I will make note of that. (I bought a calendar book to keep track of all this!)

Thank you again for your help. :hug:

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I go to this site all the time if I am not sure of what to do.

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/artic ... sMain.html

If you go about to the bottom of the large you will see Parasite information. She is a writer of a goat magazine and she really knows her stuff.

As for the CDT. I have always given them to mom's 2-4 weeks before the delivery date. If you give it out side that window then it really does not get to the baby. If that happens that is still ok. Give 2cc to the baby at 2 weeks old, then 4 weeks later and then another 4 weeks.
    If you get it in that window then the baby only needs the 2cc at two weeks and again 4 weeks later.

Anything under the two weeks will not fdo anything for them.

Now I am NOT trying to say Stacey is wrong. You will hear different people say different thing. I have always done this because this is what i have found in more medical information.

As for the dewormers, it is VERY confusing. I go to her site a lot to get it straight. The only thing I do different is I do a fecal float before I do any deworming. For me what dewormer do you use if you have no idea what you are treating for? I also in the 9 yeas I have done this have never ever dewormed after a kidding.

5. Candy

Candy New Member

Giving a vaccine before the age of 10 to 12 weeks is useless. For a vaccine to work the animal must have a healthy and active immune system. The vaccine itself does not make the animal resistant to the disease. All it does is stimulate the immune system to produce antibodies against the disease. This process takes 4 to 6 weeks to happen and requires AN ACTIVE HEALTHY FUNCTIONING IMMUNE SYSTEM. Goats and sheep are born with NO immune system. They develop one at about the age of 10 to 12 weeks. And that is when vaccinations should start. Until then they are protected by the antibodies they have absorbed in the first few hours of life from their dam's colostrum. Giving a vaccine before then may actually DESTROY some the vital antibodies that the kid got from the colostrum!! This is why I recommended giving the CD antitoxin to newborns, it acts like the natural antibody. The current recommended schedule for giving kids and unvaccinated adult goats the CDT vaccine is to give an initial injection at 10 to 12 weeks old, then booster it TWICE at 3 to 4 week intervals, then give it every 6 months for the best protection. The first injection boosts immunity to 5 to 10 percent. The second boosts it to 30 to 50 percent and the final booster gets it to 60 to maybe as high as 85 percent. Immunity falls rapidly after only 60 to 90 days. It has been shown that goats do not respond as favorably as some other species to vaccines and the CDT vaccine will likely only be about 80% effective at best. But it beats nothing! These findings are fairly recent and vets that have been out of school for more than a few years may not know about them or even not believe them.
    Candy :sun:

6. Candy

Candy New Member

Guess I should mention that the above info came from Maggi Lehman. The Penn State Ag College now accepts this as the standard.
    Candy :sun:

7. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thanks for that link, sweetgoats! I've got it bookmarked now.

I usually do floats, but my microscope and everything is in storage and I just haven't been able to get out there to dig it all out. :oops:

I wormed everyone today with the recommended Ivermectin. They all behaved so well, the silly buggers. I will give everyone their booster CD/T when I do Hope in January and probably do her kids at 10 weeks.

Thank you all so much for the help, I feel more confident now. :hug: