Frustrated. Advice please.

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Crissa, May 1, 2009.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Okay I went over to a friend's house the other day and their next door neighbor has some horses, so I went over to look at the horses (there was a new one) and one of the horses looks TERRIBLE! I mean at least as bad if not worse than what my horse used to look like! And this is not the new one. Mind you I will try not to judge until I get the whole story because she could just be really old, but what struck me is what he told my friend quote "I'm just waiting for her to keel over". I was sooooo MAD! :angry: I mean come ON! Does that horse really deserve that?! He doesn't even care! This is why I will be going over to ask about her, she's so sweet, and she doesn't really seem that old, it looks like she's had little care. I fed her some grass and she ate funny so I think she needs her teeth floated bad, she needs a hoof trim (all of them do), I bet she needs wormed, and she needs to be groomed. My friend and I are going over there soon to ask about her, so I may be trying to find a horse a home soon, because if he really doesn't care I doubt he's going to charge me much for a horse he thinks is "going to keel over".

Any advice? I feel so bad for her. :(

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh thats sad. well maybe you can help her out some and if not do call the authorities if you notice that she needs care in the areas you said.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah, just be polite and open minded when you go there, they'll probably be defensive over their horse...but the whole story would help. :) good luck.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    the others have great advice......I know it isn't easy....to see something like that ..... :hug: :(

5. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    What's sad is that this isn't the only problem. He's been seen beating his horses before by many people. It just makes me want to :veryangry: ! But I will be polite and see what I can do before I do anything drastic. (if he still doesn't seem to care I might take her myself, after I ask if he wants to get rid of her)

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    If he doesn't give the horse to you FREE....I wouldn't take her...just call the local sheriff or animal control and tell them all you know about the whole thing. But FIRST make sure you ask and find out what is really going on, you'll be able to tell if he's being honest or not. It's not worth your time to spend money buying the worthless mare just to help her, I know it's hard to see those kind of things, but it would be better if you could get authorities involved so you don't have to be financially and emotionally tied up into her. If his story doesn't sound straight, get authorities involved even if he gives you the mare because if the mare got as bad as she sounds then this will just happen again.

Let us know how it goes.

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh also, get some pictures. So in case he decides to move all his horses...etc. you will have proof to show. But I wouldn't post the pictures here or anything, just have them in private in case you need them.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  9. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Thank you for the advice. I'm really hoping that I'm wrong and he's either more ignorant than he should be or that it's because it's something she can't be cured of. (although if it were me I'd put her down, even if I had to pay a lot of money to do it)