Frustrated to no end =

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by kelebek, Dec 30, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    So most of you don't know, but we have been going through alot of storms up here in the Northwest.....

On December 17th when I went to work - we had not even 1 inch of snow on the ground. It was cold - but do able.

We came home that very same night to almost 2 feet of snow not 12 hours later.

The snow HAS NOT STOPPED SINCE!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have pretty much had snow everyday now - with even a RAIN shower for 3 hours on this past Saturday.

So yesterday, we were supposed to go to town for our business to open back up (we own an auto body repair shop about 1 hour from our ranch) and I had made doctor and dentist appts for myself and both kids - so the whole day was planned.

At about 6:45 am we start down the hill from the ranch (which is 0.6 miles down until we hit the "association" and they are plowed). Well we made it about 1/2 way down until we got stuck - and I don't mean just stuck - I mean BURIED! We dug and dug and dug and dug - finally got it unstuck to move 50 yards and buried again.

We came to the house, to warm up and eat - then went back down and dug more. Called the plow guy but he can't get here till wednesday. so we kept digging last night. OHHHH - and then when we were walking back down to dig - we noticed that the goats awning is about the cave in - aghhhhh - oh and our gutters have literally torn off of the side of the house in 2 spots.

So this moring we finally got the rest of the drive way shoveled (mind you it is about 3 1/2 feet of snow!!!!) on the whole driveway. And hubby was able to get unstuck and go to our business. Meanwhile I can not lift my arms, my back is killing me and now I have to go get the snow off of the goats awning before it colapses on them

I just can't get a break!!!!!!!!!!!

And it is supposed to snow everyday for the next 10 days except for 1 day......

Just had to vent

2. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    AAAWWW.... once again I am so sorry Allison :hug: but just look at it this way... since you are snowed in you have had TONS more time to talk to me! LOL :ROFL: hehe.....

3. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm Guest

Sep 18, 2008
    Sounds like your getting what we usually get this time of year. :greengrin: Have fun! We have sunshine here and the snow is melting and it's warm....... (sorry, I can't help gloating... usually we are snowed in with 4-5 feet of snow...)

Did you guys get any wind?

oh yeah.... :hug:

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    hehehe - yah - great .................. just joking - LOL!

Last year we had a record snow fall - well in 2 weeks we have had a little over 1/3 - almost 1/2 of the snow fall we had last year. I really pray that we do not get much more..... there is a reason I do NOT live in Montana, Dakotas, or Alaska!!!!!!!!

sonrise - the wind was aweful yesterday. It is not bad now - but the clouds are moving real fast

5. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I TOLD you that you should move back south!........ :wave:

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH Allison. I know how you feel. We have those winters but we have not had one for a while. A few years ago the snow drifted at the barn and you could walk up the snow bank and step on the roof of the barn (15 feet tall).
    In Gunnison Co last year they had a record amount. they had no kidding 52 feet of snow. They had to bring in trucks to take the snow out of there so they could drive. My very dear friend lives there and she did have two different goat barns roofs cave in. She had 327 goats at the time also.

Look at it this way Allison, you will have some of the greenest pastures for you goats. :stars:

My saying in the winter when we are getting hammered with snow.

More snow greener pastures less hay to buy, and cheaper hay.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    that would be great if I had pasture - aghhhhh - there will be a little green grass - but not much. I think that I am going to get a bunch of seed and when it starts to melt throw it all in the other pen and see if I can get something to grow and then turn the horses loose there.

I am going to be taking my 2 wethers down to a friends at the bottom of the hill this year (goatie grandma's) and they get to forage all spring/summer/early fall. I may even take some of my girls once they kid....

But man - it is going to be a mud pit when it starts thawing!

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh I am so sorry :( We havent had anything more then a dusting and I am so glad.

I wish I could come over there and help you I really do!

9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Good grief that's a lot of snow! Feel free to move down by us!! We got about 9 inches and it lasted for a week and now a lot of it's melted, but we're supposed to get rain and snow this week.

Well.... :hug: and hang in there... don't get buried alive like that one lady I saw on the news the other day...(can't think of where she lived)

10. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    That's alot of snow.

I hate winter! :angry: I keep telling my mom lets move SOUTH! :sigh:

11. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    For me, If i move south, it gets colder :snowlaugh:

That's funny... your absolutely buried in snow and hating it, and I've never touched snow in my life :)

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    No really Alyssa it is not funny - and if you want poptarts again - nah.... just teasing. I love the snow - but this is rediculous

13. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    lmao.
    I got scared for a sec then. I was like crud my poptarts :ROFL:

I will come and shovel snow for you :roll:

14. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    :ROFL: :ROFL:

Yeah Alyssa... she is a little touchy on that... I was aggrevating her the other day telling her it was 71 degrees here and the ice cream truck ran (which is the COMPLETE truth) and well.... lets just say she wasn't happy with me and threatened to drive down here and get me! :shocked: :ROFL: :ROFL:

hehehehe.... love ya Allison! :shades:

15. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :GAAH: :GAAH: :GAAH: :GAAH:

I feel for you Allison............... and I'm so glad I'm not alone. I've only got three theories for you:

1. Advanced planning (6 months worth of feed, emergency meds and hay in the barn) knowing that from at least December to the end of March, the ability to get to the nearest TSC 2 hours away will be severly limited.

2. Heated water buckets........ so worth the expense.

3. A snowmobile or 4 wheel drive for when all else fails....... bribe a neighbor with fresh eggs if you have to.

Unexpected #4: we put 2 three ton jacks & support beams up in the goat barn for snow load just in case. $35 bucks a piece (on sale at Tractor Supply) and sacrificing a few large trees from the property, but at least I know I've done what I can there.

We have had snow 21 of the last 25 days. 20 of the last 25 have seen single digit or lower temps. I question my sanity almost every day and wonder if it's all worth it..... right up until I hear the chorus of "mmmmmmaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!" when I go in the goat barn every day. :love: :love: :love:

If only my 2 legged kids would be so appreciative of my efforts........

16. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    :scratch:

yeah. Isn't this why you have kids? They can help you shovel!
    I was blessed with older siblings, so I've never had to do much shoveling, lucky me.

Yup.. up here, most of us Minnesotans are pre-prepared for the nasty snow.. did you put chains on the tires?

17. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    Amos, Me being the youngest = More work.

18. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    bbbbbbrrrrrrrrr 24 below when I woke up this morning. Yep, we've got chains on the tractor. U just wish we had a heated cab for it :-(

Unfortunately, we moved back to the farm when my boys were 10-12 years old. They hadn't learned the farming work ethic & I haven't been able to threaten them with bodily harm enough to get them to help with more than bailing hay & feeding horses. They think my goats are stupid & if I want them cared for properly, I've gotta do it myself.

19. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    Oh wow, thats a way to get coal off santa!! :ROFL: