The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting very frustrated trying to figure out what I need to do to get this doe producing more. Here is the story:
We bought a Nubian doe that freshened in March. When we got her she was producing 1 gallon a day (milking twice a day and getting 2 qts each time) We have been thrilled with her! We have had her about a month and a half now and her milk has dropped. Since she has come here we gave her a copper bolus as she had never had that before and her coats kind of rough, no fish tail. She also started some coughing about a week ago and I actually found lung worm in her fecal so I just finished treated her with the second round of ivermectin. We feed 16% goat ration mixed with BOSS and alfalfa pellets. I would say she gets 3 cups of alfala pellets and 2 cups of the rest of it 2x per day at each feeding. She also has 2 acres to eat off of which is mainly wooded with lots of weeds, some pasture. She also has orchard grass mixed hay all the time. She went from giving us 1 gallon a day and now has dropped to about 1.5 qts per day. So in total from 7 gallons a week to now 5.25 gallons a week. She comes from Blissberry dam and sire so she had good lines and a fantastic udder so what am I doing wrong? I would think if she had another worm going on the ivermectin would take care of since we were treating her with that for the lung worm. I checked her fecal and the only thing I saw concerning was the lung worm (I have never seen lung worm before so I was shocked but it went along with her symptoms). Oh, I also do Mollys herbals weekly and I have been giving her red cell.

·
Super Moderator
59,341 Posts
With lungworm you want to do 3 treatments, 10 days apart.

What was she getting before? I would find out exactly what she had been fed if you don't know.

Is she staying in condition?

·
Registered
905 Posts
I could be wrong, but I would think her milk production would be down a bit if she's fighting the worm issue. I'd guess that when that is all cleared up, she'll return to her previous amount in time.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
well, she's been milking for 5 months, she's fighting a worm load, the weather is hot, she has a new home, so she may be homesick, also she may be thinking about coming into heat. you have to realize that there are several factors going on!!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I know there are several factors and I would have expected her milk to drop right after bringing her home but she kept on milking like she was for them up until the last 2 weeks- so for 6 weeks. She is acting great, poop is normal. She came to us with the lung worm as the incubation for that falls with her coming to us with that already and we just noticed some coughing going on, no other signs. Condition is good, she is hippy a bit but most milkers are from my experience. I just want to be sure Im not missing something. We are feeding her the same thing her previous owner was feeding except that their 16% goat grain was a special mix that a local farmer had made and he bought into that so there is no way for us to match that but otherwise the protein is the same and everything else is the same. I am wondering if maybe I should try switching her to alfalfa hay, its just so much more costly here which is why we do pellets.

She is an amazing doe. We love her to pieces so I want to make sure there isn't something Im missing. Yes, she had lung worm but no internal parasites from her last fecal so its not like fighting barber pole worms and how hard that is on them.

·
Super Moderator
59,341 Posts
You could always try something like Dr Pollard's Lactating Herbs.

It could be with all the factors that for this year, her production will not come back. But you could try things like milking her 3 times a day and the alfalfa hay.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Another factor I had to consider with my Nubian(she is 5) was her past history of milking...I think previously she was always dried off earlier than I would like. I was also getting a gallon a day and now get 4-5 pints a day roughly and that's with adding MO Milk from Molly's Herbals.

My solution is going to be to milk more goats next season :p

Hope it comes back up for you!

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
I was just going to suggest that ^^

If this doe in previous years was dried off around now or after only 5-6 months of lactation there is basically nothing you can do about it. They get a pattern and stick to it.

2 cups of grain doesnt seem much to me for a standard dairy goat when I feed my minis that much. So I would up her grain amount to more like 4 cups per feeding.

·
I'm watching you
22,379 Posts
There are also some weeds that will interfere with milk production. Buttercup and Chicory are 2 I can think of right now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts