The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've only had my goat a short while but I'm already frustrated by the fact that I have to drag him to where I need him to be.
He doesn't seem very interested in me or anything for that matter.
I'll sit near him for hours and he wont come up to me himself.
I've tried treats and he wont eat them even if I put them near his food bowl.
He just seems stubborn and braindead.

How do I get through to him? Will he be better when he is neutered?
I read goats, males particularly enjoy being petted ect. did I read wrong?
I'm wondering if goats are even the right pet for me and if this was a huge mistake.
I expected to atleast have some sort of progress by now and that he would atleast eat something from my hand. :blue:
He isn't fearful he just doesn't seem to want anything to do with anyone.
I was going to get a second one for him to have a friend but if this is his real personality I'm not sure I even want him.
I did so much research and now I just feel like I ended up with a dud or I read the wrong information. :sigh:

Should I hang in there or should I find him a new home?

· Registered
1,694 Posts
How long have you had him for? They all need sometime to warm up to new people. He may be a little depressed too though if he came from somewhere with other goats and now has no one. Goats are herd animals.

My boys I would say are as loving as the girls. Although my oldest buck is more of an attention hog. I think it just depends on the goat.

· Registered
7,663 Posts
So you only have the one goat? Does he have any other pen mates around? That probably is the first problem if not. He isn't happy with no buddy's around, also if he's a buck and he's in rut and no girls around leads to 1 depressed goat. How long have you had him? If he is supposed to be a pet then yes get him fixed and get him a buddy ASAP. It's sounds like he is depressed, therefore no he won't be interested in things that typically goats would be interested in. They are pack animals, and they need other buddy's around. I had my little kinder wether for sale, and someone wanted to buy him as a pet, but only had chickens and a dog for buddy's, so I had to say no because he just would not have been happy in that situation. If he's not threatening to you, just doesn't seem interested then get him fixed and another wethered buddy, and I would think you would see a huge difference. All mine are VERY personable... But they all gave their buddy:)

· Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
About a month.
I know I'm far from a goat but I've been trying to keep him company while I wait for a kid to pop up near me. Sitting in his pen reading or whatever for hours on end.
But he isn't interested in my affections or me in general lol.
I know they're herd animals, I have adds up looking for kids.
I've been checking craigslist for kids near me too.
But if he isn't interested in people now it makes me think once I get another he'll be even worse about it.
Maybe he just isn't a people goat?

· Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He's a buck but he's not in rut or showing any bucky behavior, he's supposed to be 5 months but I'm not so sure he's that old.
So if I get him a young buddy he should come around?
I dont even know when I'll be able to get him a buddy though it could be a month or so no one seems to have kids and I dont want another older goat that could have behavioral issues. I know he wasn't handled by the guy who bred him and he was covered in lice when I got him (already treated it).

· Registered
7,663 Posts
Well, think of it this way. When people are depressed what usually happens? We don't want to be around anyone... If he is lonely for a goat buddy, no matter how hard you try to give him affection you are not a goat, he knows that. You can keep trying but when I got my oberhasli wethers Peanut is the one who climbed on me first, and alas her came Linus the shy one... Then now I can't get them away from me if I'm outside... They like buddy's to also feel secure, that they are not alone... I bottle fed my wethers, but it was a rocky start let me tell ya, but like I said they are very affectionate towards me. If he was butting you and showing aggressive behavior like that, then yeah, not so much into people... But you trying to be his companion now isn't really working because you are not a goat... Once a buddy arrived, I'd be willing to bet you will have a different goat in a week or 2...

· Registered
7,663 Posts
That last post of the old owner not handling him, that has something to do with it too, but keep doing what your doing, and hopefully a kiddo will show up shortly... I bet he'll be the first one to come around... Kidding season here is coming shortly... So hopefully you can find one, maybe even a bottle baby:) If he is just a pet I strongly recommend getting him fixed before Bucky behaviors begin;-)

· Administrator
96,026 Posts
A buddy would help.

I hate messing with bucks horn area's, when they are older, however, it is a great way to break the ice with any goat.

All goats love it when scratched between the horns, they give into it quickly. I will have them on a rope, I will be sitting in a chair and scratch them between the horns, I let them back away, still holding the rope. I then hold out my hand and say "It's OK" in a soft voice and do a scratching motion out towards them with my hands, if they don't approach me, within a short time, I will pull them back in and scratch again, they will soon come to your hand wanting that scratch, they may back away a few times, but, will always give in to it. I normally do this with young kids, to break the ice and it always works. With bucks, I stop this as soon as I can start petting and scratching elsewhere.
May take a few days to get him use to it, but with time, he will cave in. Then after he is good with that, start scratching around the neck ect.

To walk him, let him go wherever he wants to at first, just walk him with a halter/rope or a collar. Walk towards a favorite tree or forage to nibble on.

You can tie him up and let him learn, that pulling against himself, isn't fun and eventually he will learn not to fight it. Be there every minute though, in case he gets into trouble.

Also, you can start walking him and with the tension on the rope, wait til he give's one step, then praise him by a scratch or a treat. Say Good boy as well. Repeat until you get response to move forward. Reward. Eventually you will get more steps. Just work with him for 15 minutes at a time, leave on a good note, make it enjoyable. They remember that.

You can sit there in a chair with him on a rope/collar and have a small tree branch, that he may like. Make it where he has to come to you to get it. Anything he may love to eat, have there, so it encourages him to come get it. Talk to him in a soft voice and scratch between the horns at first.
Remember, after he trusts you, then you can stop the between the horns scratches, it isn't good to do with bucks, but if you have to break the ice, it helps.

Good luck

· Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found someone who will have a kid available in 2 weeks! So now Bambi wont have to lonely anymore.
The goat will be around 2 weeks old and I'll have to bottle feed it anyone know at what age I can introduce them?

· Registered
7,663 Posts
I found someone who will have a kid available in 2 weeks! So now Bambi wont have to lonely anymore. The goat will be around 2 weeks old and I'll have to bottle feed it anyone know at what age I can introduce them?
I would just do a few minutes here and there from the start, with you being there etc... And gradually increase. Normally I would recommend a quarantine for a month, but since these are pets, probably no need. I would recommend fixing Bambi before hand...bucks don't make great pets, wethers do though. How old is Bambi again? You may be able to band if he's young enough, but I'm thinking he's a little old to do that...

· Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,806 Posts
An intact buck of any temperament is not something I suggest to anyone new into goats. Once he does come into rut, his attitude is going to go from bad to worse. Id sell him and look into get clean and friendly goaties.

· Registered
7,663 Posts
An intact buck of any temperament is not something I suggest to anyone new into goats. Once he does come into rut, his attitude is going to go from bad to worse. Id sell him and look into get clean and friendly goaties.
He said he was only 5 months. So that would be young enough to band right? I agree a buck doesn't make for a pet...., but since he is only 5 months I'm thinking it could work...

· Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm having Bambi fixed by a vet asap I'm calling Monday to get a appointment.
I was told they would sedate him and do a local anesthetic on his jewels and cut him. I was told he's to old to band, he's about 50 pounds around 5 months. He's going to a large animal/livestock vet.

The new baby will already be a wether when I get him so no worries there too.

· Administrator
96,026 Posts
If you can get a band over both testies, he can be banded. I would make sure he has a tetanus shot or CD&T at minimum.
Give him Banamine for pain and swelling. If he is big, but you manage to get both testicles in the band, he will be uncomfortable for a few days. Make sure, you don't get his teats in the banding, make sure they are clear.

I agree, bucks can be temperamental and unpredictable when in rut.

· Administrator
96,026 Posts
My kids are at a heavier weight then that and we can still get the band on them.

Sedating goats, is risky, some, do not do well with it, some don't come out of it. :(

I had a 300lb goat sedated for surgery and it took very little to knock him out and it was very fast, it is a bit unnerving.

· Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He has small testicles so I'm sure I could get him banded. I checked them after we got him because I couldn't see them and both could fit in my hand (I'm a girl too so my hands are small). I have a feeling he's actually younger than I was told.
The issue would be getting my mom to let me do it. He's my goat but on her property and she thinks banding is cruel and wants to get him cut instead.
I'll express my concerns to her about him being cut.
The vet said they weren't going to put him under just sedate him.. like give him a shot to make him drowsy and then another shot in his testicle area to numb it. This still not okay? Just wanted to clarify what exactly they said they'll be doing to him.

· Administrator
96,026 Posts
Sedation of any kind, can be risky with some goats, so be aware. :(
Like I mentioned before, it doesn't take much, which is scary, if you have a vet that gives just a little too much, they do not come out of it.

Some goats do OK, but others it is not good. You never know, until they are put under.

· Registered
7,663 Posts
I thought banding was cruel too, until I got my goats, and well they are uncomfortable for a day or so, but after that good to go. I actually banded my little Beebop at 8 weeks and he was in pain for a night. I gave him some aspirin and the next day he was all hyper as usual:) Now, I would rather do that then ever put them under/sedate them....because of the risks involve, but I do understand your mom's view too, but after seeing it done, doing it myself I will continue... Best of luck to you with either way you choose:)

· Registered
625 Posts
You arent alone. We got 2 16 week old mini Toggs in Aug and they have yet to warm up to us. Dont get me wrong they will trample you for a bowl of sweet feed, but just arent friendly or seem to enjoy being touched..... the bottle baby should satisfy your need for a friendly goat though.... He will keep her company, even friendly goats need goat friends to feel whole....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.