The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 27 Posts

· Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,806 Posts
An intact buck of any temperament is not something I suggest to anyone new into goats. Once he does come into rut, his attitude is going to go from bad to worse. Id sell him and look into get clean and friendly goaties.

4,806 Posts
He has small testicles so I'm sure I could get him banded. I checked them after we got him because I couldn't see them and both could fit in my hand (I'm a girl too so my hands are small). I have a feeling he's actually younger than I was told.
The issue would be getting my mom to let me do it. He's my goat but on her property and she thinks banding is cruel and wants to get him cut instead.
I'll express my concerns to her about him being cut.
The vet said they weren't going to put him under just sedate him.. like give him a shot to make him drowsy and then another shot in his testicle area to numb it. This still not okay? Just wanted to clarify what exactly they said they'll be doing to him.
The problem with that is, the locale and the sedative counter act each other. Like suggested, if the band fits, you can use it. Personally I prefer the burdizzo method.

4,806 Posts
Its going to HURT so if you have a good relationship with your vet, you may want him out to at least give a locale. And two other warm bodies to hold. Good to pinch each side twice if they are bigger. The burdizzo comes in a few different sizes.

1 - 3 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.