Frustrating fecals....

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by logansmommy7, Aug 23, 2010.

1. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    SO. My doe, Fiona, the four month old Alpine/Saanen cross had pneumonia along with coccidia (heavy load) and trichostrongyles (heavy) one month ago. I treated (per the vet) with Corid for five days, and wormed with Cydectin (also per the vet). She has really bounced back and is seemingly doing well. I took a fecal today just to check on her. They call me and tell me that she has Moniezia (a form of tapeworm-heavy load) and heavy coccidia as well! ARGH! The vet told me to do Corid again for five days and repeat in two weeks, get an immediate fecal to see if the Corid is working. He also told me to do some other type of wormer-I wasn't sure of the type (I think he said something about Quest plus-or any with the 'plus). I looked it up and Safeguard is a good one??? Is it?? Just thought I would ask the experts.... :whatgoat:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would go more with the quest then with safeguard.

I with quest though its very important you have an accurate weight on the goat and you dose 1cc per 100lbs (I think let me get back to you on that once i find my notes)

whats your dosing for corid? I found it only to be effective if given 1cc per 4lbs for 5 days.

3. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Equimax worked very quickly for us for tapeworms.

Corid never worked for us last year - since you & I are close geographically . . . I don't know if that means it may not work for you, either . . . or if it is dependent on the strain of coccidia :whatgoat: ??

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Coccidia has been very very resistant this year and Corrid isn't going to do it. It's just going to deplete the thiamine and make your goats get polio. So I'd go with something else, like Sulmet, Dimethox 12.5% or SMZ tablets for te Cocci.

For the tapeworms I would go with quest plus. You NEED to be accurate with the dosing on it. 1cc per 100lbs. You could try safeguard, but it probably wont work, and you would need to give it 3-5days in a row.

5. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Quest? Is it a plus thing? Plain Quest? Can you get it from the TSC??? Can pregnant does have it?

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Quest has moxidectin as the active ingredient. Equimax and Zimectrin Gold have praziquantel as well as ivermectin and kills tapeworms, febendazoles such as Safeguard and Panacur have shown resistance with tapes, praziquantel has been the only worm med that hasn't caused resistance with tapes in this area.

All of these are available at TSC.

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quest contains Moxidectin as the active ingredient, which is like ivermectin.... kinda like how penicillin and amoxicillin(sp) are the same but diff.

Quest is just Moxidectin.

Quest Plus is Moxidectin and Praziquantel combined.

You NEED to be careful with all these "Plus" dewormers because a lot of them have diff dosages of the Praziquentel, so would have a diff dosage than the one I am giving for the specific dewormer, Quest Plus.

Now Quest plus is a dewormer of last resort really. I don't touch the stuff unless i have to because there isn't a whole lot stronger stuff to go to after it.

8. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Great. I have gotten a wormer today that is similar to Quest (they didn't have the plus at TSC) and I'm sure it will work fine. Now-about the coccidiostat. The co-op only had Sulmet drinking water solution. Can you give this orally instead of in the water? I just hesitate to put anything in the water as I won't be sure if they get the dose they need, hence not getting well. Best advice for the coccidiostat please. I got to thinking about the Corid last night and I don't like the possible side effects of it.

9. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Not sure what "similar to Quest" would be, and besides that, Quest wouldn't do you any good against tapeworm anyway. Regular Quest is moxidectin -- same drug as as Cydectin. The whole reason folks recommended Quest Plus is because the "plus" part means it contains praziquantel, which *does* kill tapeworms.

Sooooo, if you got something similar to regular Quest in so far as it's also straight moxidectin without praziquantel, it won't do you any good.

What dewormer did you get, exactly?

As for the Sulmet, the 12.5% drinking water solution is exactly what you want. And, yes, you actually give it straight out of the jug it came in without diluting it at all...dosage is 1ml/5lbs on day one, 1ml/10lbs on days 2-5. That *is* your coccidiostat, btw. You're done with CoRid...the Sulmet you bought was to replace the CoRid in treating the coccidia problem. :)

10. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    What a I meant by 'similar to Quest' meant a horse wormer, similar in composition. I got Equimax....sound okay? It says it treats intestinal worms (aka tapes, etc) and had a higher amount of wormer for those, which I am trying to rid my herd of. Thanks for the advice

11. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    You are good to go - the Equimax has praziquantel which is effective for tapeworms.

The Sulmet you bought is fine and you do not want to dilute it. You may want to sweeten it up a little - according to my goats, it is some nasty tasting stuff and they do not like it. We usually follow it up with some probiotics and give the goats a favorite tree limb so they don't run when they see us coming, lol.

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    What is the percentage of praziquantel? You can't just think it's great because it has a higher amount of dewormer... it could kill your goats in some cases... I know plently of people who have killer their goats with horse dewormers...

13. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Specifications: Each milligram of paste contains 0.0187 mg (1.87 percent) ivermectin and 0.1403 mg (14.03 percent) praziquantel.

The key is (I think) that it contains Praziquantel----

14. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    It's hard to give too much ivermectin, but it is possible to give too much Praziquantel and just about every product that has Praziquantel has a different level of it. Thus why I said you have to be very careful about it. The only product I have personally used with Praziquantel in it is quest plus and have calculated the dosage for that. I do not know the dosage of the equimax but I do know it has more in it than quest, so you would give even less of it. It's not a huge amount more, but more than quest plus or zimectrin gold.

15. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Thanks Ashley-I will pay CLOSE attention when I dose it. I gave them Safeguard (it was all I had last night) and very good result overnight. I will be doing the Equimax next week and than again the next week. Hopefully it will resolve the problem.

Thanks for the concern and caring-our goats are in good hands.

16. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Was just letting you know, because I use to think all the Plus products had the same and was surprised to find they don't. It's quite annoying. I mean pretty much all the ivermectin products are the same concentration.... so why not the Praziquantel?

Glad your being careful. :thumbup:

17. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah the sulmet should be giving orally 1cc per 5lbs for the first day adn then 1cc per 10lbs for the follow 4 days

I always measure the amount I need and then add some sweetener to it. Makes the goats hate it less and since i have to give it for 5 days I rather not have to chase goat kids around trying to catch the for their meds. THey lvoe it when its sweet