Frustrating problem- no emergency

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by enjoytheride, Sep 5, 2008.

1. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Dottie, my 2 year old Boer doe, has had teary eyes for about a year. Both eyes. Just clear liquid- no mucus or pus or anything else.
    The eye is not infected not even irritated- it is not cloudy or swollen or anything I can see. She doesn't hold it closed in bright sun.
    The constant tears make the area where they fall raw and scabby if not treated. I usually just put some triple antibiotic ointment on the skin (not the eyes) and the skin heals in a few days. I have been doing this a couple of times per month for a year.
    I tried different feeders- her current one is on where she only gets her nose into it so it's not irritation from the feeder.
    Today I took her into the vets because someone said that it could just be a stray eyelash or two causing the problem but the vet looked at her very thoroughly and said that it couldn't be- beside not finding such a problem, Dotties eyebal is not the least scratched or inflamed. She said she thinks it's just that Dottie has deep set eyes and the moisture is held in by the folds of the skin around her eyes. To correct it, she would have to do surgery - a goatie eye lid lift. But she also said it might make it worse or not even really be the solution.

I know horses can get blocked tear ducts- has anyone ever heard of such a thing with goats? Any suggestions?

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sounds like a pain in the butt for you and Dottie...and possible allergies, if it was a blocked duct, she wouldn't be tearing at all, hope you can get a solution soon :hug:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like an overactive tear duct.

yah definatly frustrating!

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with staceyroop :sun:

5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    With horses, there is a tube that runs from the corner of the eye to a place in the nose- overflow tears run down this and drain out the nose. Come to think of it, people have this too.
    If that tube is blocked, the tears overflow and run down the face.