The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just totally failed two batches of fudge... I can't seem to get the 'soft ball stage'... anyone have any good tips? I really want to make some for a friend, and I want to make some for Christmas this year.... but.. right now... I can't make anything but chocolate soup! LOL!

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
Well, I have a very quick and easy recipe where there are no stages. Just put in the fridge and viola. You want the recipe?

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yes please!! Lol!

·
2,751 Posts
Just add about 2 teaspoons of vanilla... if you like vanilla. NOW, this recipe is very very rich, you are basically eating chocolate! But I like it. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fudge/

·
1,983 Posts
I have never made fudge. I think because it would never survive to be shared. I had some incredible dark chocolate sea salt caramel fudge. There are just no words to give it any justice. I love fudge.

·
1,983 Posts
Tiger Fudge is wicked good too. Actually I could go on and on about fudge. My mouth is watering. Ahh why baby hormones why must you do this to me?!?! I wonder if DH would spring for fudge for dinner...

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Grace, can I use Goat Milk or dose it have to be the condensed stuff? And can I use milk chocolate chips? I can't eat something too chocolatey... Makes me sick :( even if it dose taste really good lol!

My grandmother makes fudge every year and I real like hers lol! So I want to make it through the year for me lol!

Erica, if I get a batch to set, and I don't have to work, I will have to come visit on show day ;)

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really?! Then I don't think I boiled long enough! Oh man! Well that makes me mad! Lol! That sounds like the ingredients I used.. I'll pick up some more cocoa and try again!
Did you use a thermometer at all?

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's what I used lol! What temp should I get it too? I found like 3 online when I looked... I tried the water thing with the first temp and then it went over the second one before I could test it at that temp.. Though I did try it again over the temp and it still didn't work..

·
2,751 Posts
Oh, you have to use sweetened condensed. It is basically like white very sweet liquid milk suger.... :D

I understand, anything makes me sick to my stomach so I don't even remember if chocolate does.. I remember it makes my throat hurt...

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok good to know :) I'm not a big baker if you can tell ;)

I wish it didn't! My friend and her mom make amazing brownies! But I can only eat like a 1/4 of it cause it's too chocolatey.. :(

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hehe! No problem NYGoatMom! :D lol!

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
JOY Farm. Get a cup of cold water, not icy cold just cold out of the tap, when you are boiling your fudge occasionally test it by getting a teaspoon dipping it in letting it "stream" off the spoon til you get down to just drops. Let one or two drops fall into the cup of water. Now Feel it, soft ball stage should sort of hold its shape, but still be malleable it might droop a little does that make sense? If it doesn't hold its shape boil a little longer and try again til you get the right consistency to your ball. I was taught this way by my mom and I can't stand to use a thermometer to messy and troublesome. Dont' worry about a couple batches of chocolate soup that is how you learn and everyone makes a couple of those at first.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts