The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one of my bucks "Ace " . When I went to a farm to buy a nigerian bottle baby last year this little guy was there too. He followed around chewing on my pants the whole time I was there. I fell in love with him and brought him home too. He has pretty blue eyes :) he is almost two years old now. I know his dad is full nigerian white with blue eyes but I didn't get to see mom she had already been sold. Just wondering if he looks full nigerian to you? He is only about 16-18 inches tall.

·
Banned
43 Posts
If he's not registered, (heck even if he is) chances are that it's not purebred, or at least as purebred as any Nigerian Dwarf is likely to be. Just like when miniature horses first became fashionable, and all of a sudden there were no Shetland ponies to be found but plenty of "miniature horses", this recent craze for Nigerian Dwarves has seen a lot of Pygmies disappear and a lot of Nigerians all of a sudden become available. Your buck does have less of a cobby, meat type than the average Pygmy, but on size alone I'd question it's heritage.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
He looks it to me. What a cutie! He's either Nigerian or Nigerian/Pygmy.

Sensible, a lot of Nigerians are purebred, just have to keep track of their bloodlines. :)

·
Banned
43 Posts
It's nothing to be ashamed of. When I first got into Lamanchas they too were a breed in development, despite having been recently recognized by ADGA. Just like the Nigerians today, which were not a purebred imported from anywhere, but rather were developed from Pygmy crosses, probably by some original huckster who conned a few gullible people into buying his Pygmy crosses by giving them a cool sounding breed name. The same is going on with the so-called miniature Nubians and miniature Lamanchas today, and people are eating it up because they want to believe it. PT Barnum was right.

·
Super Moderator
58,830 Posts
He definitely is at least half Nigerian. But it is hard to say if he is pure breed or not when you don't know what the mom was.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He definitely is at least half Nigerian. But it is hard to say if he is pure breed or not when you don't know what the mom was.
They said his mom was a black and white nigerian but was really small like him. He just kind of looked like a pygmy x nigerian when he was younger to me .

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's great then. I am planning to breed him with my Nigerians does this fall. He already has an accidental baby or babies due to arrive at the end of this month. I'm hoping he will pass on his pretty blue eyes :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts