Fun topic: What treats do your goats like?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by rebelshope, Oct 1, 2008.

1. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I am learning so much here. I had no idea that goats like raisins. My poor negelticed Cheyenne has never has them til this past month. She loves them. What else do your goats like?

2. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Sweet-feed. In general. They fight for it. But They also really like apples. And lately I noticed Spirit likes bubblegum.

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    It depends, we have a couple who will eat just about anything. Some of ours really like toast, not just plain bread, it has to be toasted! :roll: :wink: The horse apple treats they love as well as the alfalfa berry ones. Some of ours LOVE chips, just the tostitos kind, I'm nervous about giving them flavored ones. . . . that's all I can think of for now.

4. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    animal crackers
    graham crackers
    chocolate
    cookies
    fruit (nothing with pits ie cherries)
    veg (again with the pits ie avocados)

OMG
    i had a recipe for a crockpot chocolate cake so i tried it
    not bad but iwont make again
    anyway
    it has a very moist texture and you are supposed to serve it warm
    so there was some left over that no one wanted so i scraped it all into a bowl and took it out to the goats
    twinkle ate a bite but then walked away and then the only 2 goats that would eat it was the new ones Bella and Stacy
    Bella crammed her face right in it and then spent the next 10 min wiping her face all over the fence, the fence post and my sleeve
    toooooooooo funny
    Stacy just hogged it down and didnt care if it was on her face

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It would be easier for me to list what they WON'T eat! :ROFL:

Anything made with grains....cereal, granola bars, COOKIES, jelly toast, english muffins , donuts etc...

I don't have a goat that will eat a carrot, but pull one out of the garden and they make short work of the green tops...which when I do harvest them I walk past them anyhow so they trim the green off BEFORE I get them to the house.
    Garden tomatoes....none of mine will touch "store bought" ones!
    JELLY BEANS and TWIZZLERS are an absolute favorite.
    Bananas...peel and all
    Oranges/Grapefruit....peel and all...just be sure to wash them first becaause of any pesticides that may be on them.

Watermelon, Cantalope, grapes etc...though mine won't touch ANY squash.

I pull my bean and pepper plants after harvest and they go nuts.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Mine LOVE peppermint treats (horse candies), any fruit / veggie, corn stalks, christmas trees (as long as your not milking!), any peels or rinds from fruits/veggies, bread, pastries - pretty much ANYTHING different from hay and water! LOL!

7. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    hehe, I think all goats love pine trees, Kelebek . . . milk sure tastes interesting :worried: though. I've heard people say goats love poison ivy and wild rose bushes. They love acid.

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    See that...I forgot about the pine trees...mine get my "old" Christmas tree after it's been undecorated of course :ROFL:

Since my does are usually dry or preggy at that time I don't worry about the milk, but my barn smells "Christmassy" with all the belching and farts :oops: ...nothing like the smell of a pine tree after it's been "processed" :slapfloor:

9. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Liz :greengrin: !!

I have one that will kill for banana peels. She will probably eat anything but Im not much of a treat giver.
    For a couple of them its shoulder & neck massages, one doe loves to rub her face on mine.

10. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    BANANAS & BANANA PEELINGS !!

And OF COURSE pine trees ! And also OF COURSE Sunflower seeds !

As well as lettuce, cabbage, and other things.

11. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Wow looks like I have a lot of treats to try out on my goats.

I know Chey likes sweetfeed, chicken feed, horse feed, animal crackers and some horse treats. Oh and she likes apple limbs.

12. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Don't let your goats eat wilted fruit tree leaves!!! These are poisonious.

13. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    They don't have a chance to wilt, I have them small limbs and they are gone in no time.

14. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Hmmm ... Really ? I never heard this before :scratch: I'm not debating it. I just never heard that before. I know that cherry trees (I'm not talking about the fruit baring kind, I'm talking about wild cherry trees) are poisenous. ESPECIALLY their wilted leaves ! But I never heard of fruit trees wilted leaves being poisenous :shrug:

Here's a site where you can lookup poisenous plants. http://www.vth.colostate.edu/poisonous_ ... search.cfm

btw Sonrise Farm ~ what fruit trees are you referring to ?

Oh yeah .. how could I forget ! My goats (and ALL my animals) LOVE animal crackers !!!

15. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    pears cheetos and granola!

16. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    bananas!! toasted bread, apples, when they are at shows i let them drink out water bottles at the ringside if they are thirsty. i put gatorade or powerade in there and they love it, karlee got into a friends soda before, now i have a dr.pepper addict. :roll:

17. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    My invisible, non-exsistant goats love invisible, non-exsistant apple and invisible, non-exsistant pine trees.

They also enjoy invisible, non-exsistant Pieces of toast with vegemite.

My invisible, non-exsistant Goats Like anything that is invisible and non-exsistant, coz it has an invisible, non-exsistant taste.

:cry:

18. goatheaven

goatheaven New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    South Carolina
    Mine like
    Cheetos, Honey Nut cheerios, Peppermints, Animal Crackers, Vanilla Wafers, Cheeze Its, Cheese on Cheese crackers, Saltines

19. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    actually picc
    they do like vegemite
    but they like promite better

20. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Apple trees, kudzu, horse treats called nicker makers, banana, raisins, pine trees, bittersweet, rose bushes, and Timmy LOVES poison ivy! :sick: Wiggled through the cattle panels in the grass paddock to get to a HUGE batch of poison ivy! Needles to say he was washed up good after that. :GAAH: