The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(... with apologies to Lamanchas.)

I am continuously delighted with the ears of our newborns. Our San Clemente Island goats have the typical straight ears. The newborns usually have bent, floppy ears of different forms. We have a fun variety this year. Unfortunately they all grow into straight ears in a couple of months.

This is our first kid with straight ears.

This is the "Flying Nun" look.

These ones can touch their ear tips behind their heads.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,086 Posts
San Clemente Island goats seem to be a unique breed in many ways. It is a shame they aren't more numerous, and hats off to the breeders striving to bring them back. Thank you for sharing the pictures and story behind the ears. Most of us may never see this breed of goat in person, and I am delighted you share your experiences with us.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,086 Posts
MellonFriend, look at the shape of the ears on the little one in the middle picture. The ears stand out sideways, then hang down from about the middle length. Now, look at the habit (hat) on Sally Fields head. (She was one of the stars of a television program named "The Flying Nun") Same shape. Get it yet?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I love all the ears, but especially the ears that can touch behind the head!
My wether has the flying nun look, and I would not be upset if all my goats looked that way. The Flying Nun was before my time, but my mom has commented several times on the similarities between the nun's habit and that ear type.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts