The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have been doing a web search to determine what is going on with a few of my goats. I would love to get other opinions about it.

I have a doe that I've been treating for copper deficiency since last fall when it first came to my attention as a possibility. One of her symptoms was the loss of hair on the bridge of her nose. I am copper bolusing all my goats now as well as providing higher copper levels through loose mineral and more recently goat chow (as they are due to kid in May).

Several weeks ago I noticed a warty type bumb on the hairless portion of her nose bridge. And I watched it a bit and then proceeded to treat it as a fungal infection. It cleared up. In the meantime, a couple more of the goats begin to have the same problem. First the hairloss, then the wartlike bump.

I purchased a Topical Fungicide containing Benzalkonium Chloride. I've been away from home a few days so my daughter has been applying it in my absence. When I went out to look the goats over after returning home yesterday, I noticed that one of the does has developed a squishy lump under the little crusted bump. I'm not sure what to make of that and wonder if it's just swollen from scratching?

I haven't gone back out yet today and so I don't have a more current update. I plan to give each hairless patch a good wash with betadine and use the topical ointment again. But I'm wondering if I'd be better off using a fungal cream meant for ringworm on people. Or maybe I'm totally missing it and I need to be treating for something else!

I also began to wonder if I should spray or sprinkle the barn for mold. There probably is a mold problem. A couple of weeks ago we took up a tarp that had been laying against the ground to protect the hay from being spoiled due to moisture on the ground. But the goat symptoms were already there so I don't think it's a cause, I just wonder if it should be dealt with and how do I go about it?

Thanks ahead for your comments!

I apologize! I realized I should have posted in another section but I can't seem to move it

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I didn't think I could get a good picture by myself but miracles happen, haha. I think these turned out pretty good.
IMG_1520871365.863453.jpg
IMG_1520871540.135639.jpg
IMG_1520871672.905327.jpg

So the side views hopefully show that there is some tissue swelling under the crusty bump. The first doe never got this bad. But ahe is still hairless there. The difference is that I used a topical fungal cream meant for people - bought from Walmart. But I'm not sure what to think of the tissue swelling underneath

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure. Have you talked to your vet about it?
She was here two weeks ago and commented that she thought the feeder they were eating from was causing friction and hair loss on their bridges.

I will call her later this week if it doesn't look like it's going to clear up

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'd scrub with Iodine and pick off the scab. I bet it is a secondary infection from rubbing her nose. I have a doe who gets something similar in the winter from the feeder, though it's not as raised. She just seems more sensitive than the others. A good cleaning every couple days for a week or so usually clears it up. Iodine is an anti-fungal and anti-bacterial, so it will cover both for you. Maybe cover with Nustock afterwards for added protection.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd scrub with Iodine and pick off the scab. I bet it is a secondary infection from rubbing her nose. I have a doe who gets something similar in the winter from the feeder, though it's not as raised. She just seems more sensitive than the others. A good cleaning every couple days for a week or so usually clears it up. Iodine is an anti-fungal and anti-bacterial, so it will cover both for you. Maybe cover with Nustock afterwards for added protection.
Thank you, sounds like a good plan, I'll do that

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good advice given.

Remove the scab, clean it up and Nu-stock can be used, it treats a lot of things.
Go by instructions.

If it is the feeder doing it, try to figure out how to stop the rubbing.
The interesting thing is that I've had the feeder for a long time. I've moved it a few times. I was trying to remember dates of using that feeder and what pen it was in, but I'm all foggy on that, sigh.

It's just a homemade "V" shaped feeder using the 4" square utility panel. The first doe has had the rubbed nose a long time. The other two just started with theirs a couple months ago. I am feeding more hay than I used to so that may be making a difference.

We've noticed that the two adult does go through the panel to grab their bites. The babies did not have it, though the larger one has started balding now that she's larger(?) and the smaller one has no balding. The only adult doe that does not have that hairless bridge is the doe that is tall and stands over the the top grabbing bites.

Just some observations. But I'm hoping to get this treated and behind us because we are planning to start doing some showing this summer and I also don't want to scare potential buyers off. And of course I don't want the goats unhealthy or uncomfortable.

Thank you you All for your thoughts. I ordered the Nu-stock and will be applying the betadine until then. And I'll remove the scabs

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to make sure when you clean it up swab the sore where the scab was and have vet test for infection and CL.
I did think about CL and noted that it would be an unusual place to have one pop up. But anyway, I had a Vet out to test them two weeks ago. The CL test takes 2-3 weeks, she said. So hopin'

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did think about CL and noted that it would be an unusual place to have one pop up. But anyway, I had a Vet out to test them two weeks ago. The CL test takes 2-3 weeks, she said. So hopin'
Hi again! Good news, the tests came back negative for our little herd; CL, CAE, Johne's

I bought Nu-stock and have applied it and the iodine. The nose bridge hairs are coming back and the little bumps going away. But now I am wondering if my goats have lice and or mites. I "maybe" see lice eggs on the 2 babies. And I don't think I see any evidence of mites. But I guess this is the normal season for these things. And I am now wondering if this is the real issue behind the balding nose bridges.

I have searched and think that I'm seeing that Ultra Boss is ideal for lice but what about mites? I think I prefer treating for both at once, if possible. I have a buyer for the two doelings who prefers not to contaminate her herd and my Mama's are due to kid in 6 weeks.

Any thoughts?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts