The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Goat Crazy!
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

OK, so Ditza had a problem with the skin on her udder. Lots of little bumps (some look like pimples coming to a head), some scabby lesions, one raw spot. I thought, "Oh, staph infection". So we've been washing her twice a day with Chlorhexidine wash and then slathering on ointment that contains tea tree oil, lavender, peppermint and a wee bit of clove.

It got worse. So we started her on antibiotics.

No improvement. Now I'm wondering if it's fungal?

If it is, what would be the best fungal treatment to use on an udder? I know Blue kote is awesome, but I don't want that all over her udder and belly.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the interest of expediency I picked up a topical fungacide by Durvet. It has .15% Benzalkonium Chloride. And it was only $5.99 for 16 ounces. I'm going to put it in a spray bottle and apply it to her washed udder and belly after we milk.

I may also put it on the bald spot on her neck.

Seriously, she is the HARDEST goat ever to get into show shape. She's a good girl and a good milker. She kids easy-as-pie and has gorgeous babies. She is a peach in the show ring - she walks and sets up like a pro. She even shakes hands! But it's hard to keep weight on her and her skin...oh. her. skin.

This is my daughter's last year showing for 4-H, so she is going to sell her LaManchas in milk this September. (She's keeping the one mini doeling she got this season from Ditza) Hopefully we can find a happy home for this needy gal!

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Pictures? I just went thru this. It was staph but took awhile to clear up. Used PG300 for 5 days. Kept with the chlorshexidine. I also used diaper rash ointment. Took a month but she looks like a beauty queen now.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pictures? I just went thru this. It was staph but took awhile to clear up. Used PG300 for 5 days. Kept with the chlorshexidine. I also used diaper rash ointment. Took a month but she looks like a beauty queen now.
I'll try to get a pic tonight. My daughter and I looked at it more carefully this morning and it DOES like it's starting to clear up with the chlorhexidine wash and with 5 days of antibiotic. I think it actually IS staph. However, being Ditza, she has a bald scabby spot on her neck that probably is fungus. So the stuff I bought won't be wasted.

Thanks for the tip that it takes a while to clear up!

·
Goat Crazy!
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It took a while, but it's actually clearing up beautifully now. She still has some on her belly - so the chlorhexidine washing continues.

In other news, the fungal spray has started hair growing on her neck for the first time since last October. HUZZAH!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts