Funny experience with BOSS

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Sep 1, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Ok, I've never given my goats BOSS....But after reading all the posts on everyones ravings with them making the coats shinier and helping with overall condition and milk production I bought a 5# bag just to top dress and see how it may help my girls. Funny thing is this....the one doe I am trying to keep in milk because she has been retired as a breeder ABSOLUTELY HATES THEM!!! The other girls got a 1/4 cup with their grain and just pigged it up and was looking for more...well Bootsie decided that she did not like those little black things in her feed and she spit and sputtered the whole way thru milking :ROFL: , the witch even held her milk until I took those "nasty" things away! I gave her a "uncontaminated" handful of the regular grain and she "politely" ate and let me finish.....now mind you, this is also the "spoiled" brat that REFUSES to eat ANYTHING that another goat or even me have taken a bite from.....I make them "jelly toast" with stale bread and the others will nibble together but she has to have her own!

Wish I would have thought to get video of her...the noises she was making were awful...you'd swear I was trying to poison her! :slapfloor:

Any ideas on keeping her production going? She was giving me at her peak just over 2 qts a day with 2x a day milkings from the beginning of April til the end of June then I went to once a day beginning in July because I was barely getting a pint each time...now it's just under a pint a day...she gets 2 1/2 cups of 18% with milking as well as browse and hay....she obviously detests the BOSS, I did get alfalfa cubes to add to her grain mix.....any other suggestions for my old brat?? She freshened Feb 13th.

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    What a little stinker! :) You don't think she'll get used to the BOSS?? I've heard a lot about beet pulp on here for milking does, haven't used it myself yet but would like to for my milkers when they freshen. Hmmm. . . . everything else you are doing sounds great, the grain you're feeding is really nice. Maybe because breeding season is just "around the corner" her milk production is going down?? I'm sure someone else can give you much better advice. :)

3. Candy

Candy New Member

I think that Bootsie & Katie need to be room mates FULL TIME :worried: We'll flip a coin, loser gets them both to deal with :ROFL:
    Candy

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well her being a picky eater isnt going to help things. But have you heard my ravings on fastrack?

5. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Believe me , if I could FIND alfalfa pellets around here I would be giving them. Instead I take each cube and break them into pieces that my girls can manage, It's not whole cubes they get...my goodness they can't even get those into their mouths...I either flake them or as mentioned break them up into mini goat size pieces.....Agway and Tractor Supply do not carry pellets. Bootsie gets 2 cups of grain PLUS 1 cup of alfalfa "dust" and I've hidden 1/4 cup BOSS in her grain....she has gotten over the initial "ICK" of the Boss and pretty much has always inhaled her grain...the alfalfa has made her slow down a good bit...I'm finished getting that pint out of her before she's done eating.

It took me an hour to break enough alfalfa cubes up to fill a 4 gallon bucket.....I can't leave these out "freechoice" as they would have it all gone within minutes...therefore creating more of a problem with their health.

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Your grain store wont order them? Thankfully mine will order almost anything for me. They have even started carrying things I have ordered, like goat minerals!

If not then I have been told you can feed some kinds of rabbit pellets. I know of a breeder who feeds them because her goats wont eat regular alfalfa pellets, only the rabbit pellets. lol

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    A few months ago I had posted about substituting rabbit pellets for the alfalfa pellets that I can't get....all responses said no because of the "additives" in the rabbit pellets.....so I went with what I always have easily accessible...the alfalfa cubes, I don't mind breaking them up for them at all, works out well when the weather is wet and I'm inside anyhow.....besides that....the nearest feed mill is 25 miles away and if I could special order them I would have but then I'd have to get enough at one time so as not to "burn fuel".

Is there a name brand I should look for? Most carriers around here only have Buckeye or Blue Seal.

9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Our alfalfa pellets are from StandLee Hay Company, but I'm on the opposite side of the country. :)

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I had my sister ask about pellets where she gets the grain for her daughters pony...I can get 17% alfalfa pellets at $13.00 for a 50# sack.....I think I'll wait til the cubes are gone though....at least I know I can get them now :leap:

Stacey, is the Fastrack a topdress or something I need to give individually?

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    it is top dress -- a granular/powder