The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little buckling born a few hours ago. He's nursing act fine but his front feet worry me. Is this something he will grow out of?
20190622_202439.jpg
20190622_202505.jpg

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's weird because he is the first newborn I have seen this in they have loose minerals available at all time and I give my mother's replenim during pregnancy so what could be causing the definicy? I use the sweetlix minerals.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
It's weird because he is the first newborn I have seen this in they have loose minerals available at all time and I give my mother's replenim during pregnancy so what could be causing the definicy? I use the sweetlix minerals.
Some animals just need more than others like with minerals. But you should go on and either give bOse or selinium/vit e gel now to the kid and everyone like salty said. BOse works much quicker but it has come from your vet. Most vets will sell you a bottle of it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have the gel tonite I will have get that tomorrow can I give some replenim tonite. Will that help until in the morning when I can get some

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Replamin is a terrific option for you right now. Definitely called for, too.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once I get the gel how often and what dosage do I give? I'm guessing I need to give the mother a higher dose than the rest? Will this effect how much milk she makes? She is a meat goat so she already doesn't have a big udder?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I'd give the mom a full dose every day for 3 days. The baby should get a pea sized dollop on your finger placed in his mouth, once a day for a week.

I actually prefer and use the Replamin over the selenium gel now.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd give the mom a full dose every day for 3 days. The baby should get a pea sized dollop on your finger placed in his mouth, once a day for a week.

I actually prefer and use the Replamin over the selenium gel now.
Since I already have the replamin would it be ok to just use it instead of the gel? Do u think I still need to go invest in it?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
If you are willing to use the Replamin instead, then I see nothing wrong with giving it a go. I prefer it as the first supplement, and then I move to others if they are still needed. This is because I like the ingredients and the fact that it has minerals that work together all in one dose.

But it's what you are comfortable with sticking to the normal supplementation, that is fine too. It's down to personal preference at this point. So long as they get some selenium, that's what really matters.

Reactions: Sfgwife

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can get the gel. I just want my little new arrival to be as healthy as he can. He may be herd sire one day. Will this effect her milk production? I can up her alfalfa ration if need be.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Giving needed minerals won't cut milk production.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do they make selenium blocks. Now that I know I have a definicy I want to add a supplement with that to their diet?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts