funny goat urine

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by nhsmallfarmer, Apr 23, 2009.

1. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    our neighbor decided they no longer wanted the goat they had for "brush clearing" so I took her on.
    they said she had seen a vet, had her shots, been treated for a UTI but tests proved she never had one after the treatment was done :scratch:

not sure how old she is, I would say 4ish, I do know she has kidded before alteast 2 yrs ago they had her almost a year)

I noticed her assuming the normal pee position, no screaming or straining

then out comes this slime like stuff, kinda reminded me of the slime you see before a goat into labor, I can try to get a picture if it helps
    just wondering what do you think it could be?

she acts fine otherwise, eats, drinks, ect

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hmm so they treated her for a UTI? almost sounds like she does have an infection of some kind. Was there ever a chance she was near a buck??? Just ruling out possible pregnancy here.

Howlong ago did they take her to the vet and have her on treatment? what did they treat her with do you know?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How long has she been doing this ...that you know of?

Is it pee with slim or just slim?

could be she is in season.. :shrug:

4. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    she has not been near a buck

its just slimey stuff I have noticed it since I have had her about 3 days never seen her take a reg. pee

I will call them and see if I can get a copy of any vet papers from the visit and find out what they treated her with.

I have penicillian here course I would have to get aneedle but I hate to give her some if she really dont need it

the only other thing she does that is weird she walks in circles or walking the fence, I believe this is because she has never been in an enclosed area just tethered or free ranged, maybe she is looking for a way out to run back home, hmmmmm

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

She might be lonely. Is she in the pen with other goats?
    She may be used to not being around goats so she doesnt know what to do with her new found herd.
    I would also have her checked by a veet. What is her temp? She will have a fever if there is an infection.
    beth

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    did she kid while the other people had her? I'm wondering about metritis and/or retained placenta ... I've had it show up even a full year after kidding. Sometimes also they wont clinically show any signs of being sick or any discharge, smell, temp etc. but the infection just sits there happily in the uterus until one day for some reason or another it suddenly starts to discharge.

7. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    no she hasnt kidded since 2007

I seen her have a normal pee the other day

she stillhas some of the slimy stuff, i noticed it on the back of her thigh this as

other then that she is coming around, she is in with my other goats, seeming to like the company while avoiding the herd queen of course,
    no temp, no smell, no nothing just slimy discharge :scratch:

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

What breed is she?
    beth

9. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    nubian cross i will try n get a pic of her

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

she might be in heat. I know in some parts of the country nubians go into heat year round. boers are spring and summer time breeders too. She could be just in heat.
    beth

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    good point Beth. they do stop and "pee" for the buck even if there is no buck around